Student Budget vs Designer Prices

0

With the release of some of the top designers, such as Gucci and Chanel’s Spring Collections, that have been on the catwalk during the Paris Fashion week, The Wessex Scene has taken a look at some of the current trends from the designer labels and found more student friendly prices.

Left: Armani Jeans - £280 Right: New Look - £16.99

Denim is a must this season, ranging from jeans to shirts, dresses and jackets. Armani jeans have a nice example of a denim jacket, but with a price of £280 it’s hardly student friendly. For a student budget, however, New Look offer denim jackets for £16.99 and to add to that, the current 20% New Look offer to students holding a valid student card makes owning a season’s must that bit easier.

Left: Vivienne Westwood - £655 Right: New Look - £20

Another look to be had is leather. Leather jackets are back in with designers such as Vivienne Westwood offering leather biker jackets for £655. For a student budget, New Look offer leather biker jackets for around £20 making this trend more accessible.

Left: Alexander McQueen - £1295 Right: Miss Selfridge - £18

There are many options for dresses out there from designer brands well beyond what students should ever have to pay. For example, Alexander McQueen sell a £1295 pleated dress, but Miss Selfridge offers a similar style at just £18.

Left: J Brand - £175 Right: Miss Selfridge - £30

A necessary item for everyone’s wardrobes this summer is a good pair of shorts. Shorts are available in many style options and everyone can find a pair that suits their own personal style and figure. J Brand’s stone roll-up chino shorts may come in at £175, but Miss Selfridge offer a cheaper alternative with stone high-waist shorts for £30.

Left: Marc by Marc Jacobs - £260 Right: Dorothy Perkins - £26

To add to your summer wardrobe, a lightweight shirt is a must, as when the temperature rises, you’ll want something lightweight to keep you cool. A trendy student friendly option can be found at Dorothy Perkins for £26, compared with Marc by Marc Jacobs offering a Simone shirt for £260.

Left: J Brand - £205 Right: Zara - £19.99

Brightening up your outfits this summer couldn’t be easier with colourful skinny jeans from Zara at £19.99 and other high street shops such as H&M offering a rainbow of coloured jeans. Why not add a bit of colour to your everyday outfit? Colourful jeans are ever more popular, with designers such as J Brand offering them at £205.

Left: Heidi Klein - £175 Right: H&M - £6.99

Animal print is in for this season, with everything from dresses to t-shirts to bikinis. Designers have their fair share of animal print out there, with Heidi Klein zebra print bikinis going for a steep £175. Luckily for students, H&M offer a leopard print bikini for £6.99, although there is no student discount.

Left: Marc Jacobs - £275 Right: H&M - £7.49

To finish off any outfit, you need to have the right shoes. Court heels are simple but can often go with more than just one outfit. Marc Jacobs were the designer pair that caught my eye with nice smooth lines and in nude, but with a price tag of £275 they are a bit out of the student range. Luckily, H&M offer similar court heels for a student friendly £7.49.

Left: Rupert Sanderson - £470 Right: New Look - £19.99

As summer is around the corner, I thought it necessary to look into sandals, with designers such as Rupert Sanderson offering Isis thong sandals at a pricey £470 and New Look offering a similar style of sandal for £19.99, which is within the reach of a student budget.

I have only compared a few different outfits, but with so many new trends for this season, it is impossible to cover the scope. Designer brands are too expensive for the typical student, but thankfully, many of the high street brands, such as New Look, Zara and H&M, offer cheaper, but nonetheless in style options – there is hope for students on a budget after all!