Southampton’s Campus Spy Is Watching You

7

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening”- Coco Chanel.

I could not have said it better myself.  Fashion has always been something that has occupied my mind and soul, due to the astonishing power it has over people. Fashion allows us to feel confident and individual. I am positive that every person reading this has a favourite item of clothing that they feel their happiest and most comfortable in.

Making the journey to Southampton as a first year student, I was excited about several things: the parties, meeting new people and finding out what university life had to offer me – but the one element that really captured my imagination was the anticipation of seeing what fashion trends the city of Southampton has to offer. I was not disappointed.

I was looking forward to having my fashion horizons broadened. To make this possible, I made the decision to “take to the streets” if you will, taking pictures of people with unique fashion styles that I thought really demonstrated the huge variation in contemporary fashion culture.

Dessie Nedyalkova, Year 2, Studying Business Management

The first person that really struck me was Dessie and the vintage edge her style had. My favourite item by far would be the denim jacket, which was a mere £10 from Rokit, a vintage store in London (which is also accessible via www.rokit.co.uk). Even though the photo does not do it justice, Dessie accessorizes the jacket with a pin. This is only a small adjustment and takes no time at all, but really does make a huge difference to the overall appearance of the outfit. Teaming the jacket with chino tapered trousers (£35 from Zara) enhances the vintage feel of the outfit whilst also giving it a smart/casual vibe. The addition of the Toms (£38), a shoe which has been massively popular this summer and is sure to remain so in the following months, really ties the outfit together.

Siobhan Porter, Year 3, Studying Criminology

Even though Siobhan has an entirely different style, she still demonstrates a knowledge and love for fashion. The key piece of this outfit is the scarf, which was a penny-saving £3 from H&M.  A scarf can illuminate any outfit, and is certainly an item that will be in my capsule wardrobe this season. The addition of ripped jeans (£40 from River Island) give the entire outfit a punk look, a style that is certainly making a comeback into fashion, demonstrated by designers such as Dolce & Gabbana. Siobhan’s trainers (£61.99 from Office) show sports fashion at its best. Even though they are a bit pricier than other items mentioned, if you are into wearing trainers then Nike’s new releases are certainly something to invest in.

Jed Marshall, Year 1, Studying Mechanical Engineering

Jed’s outfit really stood out for me as it epitomises this season’s male fashion. Jed shows that you do not have to break the bank to look good, as his jumper cost a mere £8 from Tesco! It is worthwhile taking a look around supermarkets for clothing if you would not normally, as more and more are releasing clothing lines, such as Florence and Fred in Tesco and Sainsbury’s Tu range. There has been mass debate as to whether chinos for men are fashionable or an all out fashion faux-pas. Judging by Jed’s appearance, I feel chinos (£30 from Topman) are a perfect addition to any man’s wardrobe, particularly in this shade of mustard. Team the chinos with a pair of brown leather loafers and a satchel bag (this season’s essential accessory) and you’ll find yourself with an outfit suitable for all occasions.

This week’s campus spy has been very interesting and exciting, and has opened my eyes to different ways of accessorising and pulling outfits together. This only makes me even more excited to see what more trends I can find in the fashion-conscious Southampton. Keep your eyes peeled, as it may be you caught on campus spy camera next week!

Shame on you for criticizing a first year’s very first article. so easy to be critical. Well done Helen, keep it up!

David Mendoza-Wolfson

How unpleasantly patronising; although I don’t think this is a bad article I don’t think you should be scalding people for their opinions on it.

Pie

Sorry but if you (Sam) knew about fashion you would probably realise that slightly ripped jeans doesn’t make an A&F girl look anywhere close to punk.