Fight the Festive Fat!

0

It’s coming… armies of mince pies, canapés and selection boxes. Christmas just wouldn’t be Christmas without its legions of food. Resistance is futile. But how can we possibly enjoy the festivities whilst battling the bulge?

1. Pace Yourself.
One chocolate from your advent calender every morning won’t make you put on weight. Downing the whole lot in one go is another story. The same principle applies to all festive food. If you want a mince pie, go ahead and have one. One.

2. Choose Light Canapes.                                                                                                  You’re at a Christmas party and the table is laden with food. You’re bound to be excited. However, if you’re clever, you can pick at the canapés without overindulging. Avoid anything in pastry – yes, that does include mini quiches, mince pies and sausage rolls. Don’t feel like you’re missing out though. Skewered meat, crudites and smoked salmon are delicious and won’t pile on the pounds…

3. Remember: Cocktails = Calories.
Did you know that just one cocktail can clock up over 200 calories? With all the Christmas parties, it’s easy to get carried away. Remember to stick to diet mixers and go easy on the Eggnog…

4. Don’t abandon exercise just because it’s cold outside.
It’s OK to eat more as long as you burn it off. If the weather outside is frightful, take your exercise inside instead. If you can’t afford a gym membership, invest in an exercise dvd and do that regularly with a friend.

5. Have a healthy Christmas Dinner.
It is possible to enjoy the feast without doubling your daily calorie intake. Turkey can be one of the leanest roasts, as well as tasting delicious. Fill up on the brussel sprouts, carrots and parsnips instead of the pigs in blankets, stuffing and roast potatoes. Choose gravy over bread sauce and enjoy! It’s Christmas.

I have always wanted to write. It’s more of a need than a want. I will not rest until I am a professional journalist, and I am going to start with the Wessex Scene…