“We’re Not Bitches with Fake Tans”

0

Southampton University’s Health and Beauty Society is only just over a year old, but already it has its hands on an EVA Award and has high hopes for the future.  Its president and founder, Farley Pearce, is a strong believer that, if you feel that the university is in need of a society, you should simply do it yourself.

‘It started at the end of my first year, when I was in my room, thinking about societies and what was missing.’ She said. ‘ After contacting a few people, we got going. We weren’t affiliated by September, so we couldn’t promote ourselves during Fresher’s Week, and we had no backing until we passed the nine week probation period. After fresher’s week we publicised and had 200 people sign up. Once we were affiliated around March 2011, our sessions got bigger and better. Through our work we won an EVA for innovation – we like to think of it as ‘Best New Society’.  It was a huge surprise, but had worked so hard for it all’.

Nearly 800 people signed up with them at the Bunfight this year

The Health and Beauty team have their sights set high for the next academic year; and it’s off to a good start. With a committee that has doubled in size, and samples and goodies from professional companies such as Elemis, they are well and truly an established and successful society. Not only this, but the society has a strong link with Good Looks, the salon in Portswood, and Shine, the hairdressers on campus, both of whom are continuing to help with sessions during the oncoming year. The society is also proud to announce that nearly 800 people signed up with them at the Bunfight, deeming their promotional efforts a huge success.

it’s rewarding to help students and enrich their university experience, even something as trivial as painting nails

Farley is keen to express that it is taking part in a society that is the main benefit:  ‘As a society you feel so part of something and it’s rewarding to help students and enrich their university experience, even something as trivial as painting nails.’

‘We are a relaxed society. A place to get pampered. It’s not about being beautiful or being talented. It’s about having fun. I think a few people misconstrue us as bitches with fake tans and it’s not like that at all. We’re very chilled out.’

So is it just a room full of giggling girls? As with most societies at the university, H&B is open to all. ‘We have quite a few guys interested, especially sports interested in massages. Also a few guys want tanning and male beauty – its growing!’

So what if you feel there’s room for one more society? ‘My advice?  If you feel there’s a niche or a gap, don’t be scared to go forward and start one up. It makes for a better university experience and is great for your CV!’

Contact the Health and Beauty Society via their Facebook page, or follow them on Twitter, @healthbeautysoc

Meetings are every Tuesday, 7.00pm – 8.00pm In Building 2 Room 2043.

Some upcoming events include:

29th November: Hair Show in association with Shine

6th December: Fake Tan session