How to get the Christmas party look on a budget

0

Illustration: Tor De Giles

When the Christmas party rolls around there always seems to be a tendency to head straight for the sequins. And quite rightly, sequins and glitter are a huge part of Christmas and the ‘party season’ but perhaps not all over. Velvet dresses and glittering accessories are everywhere this season so make sure to add that Christmas sparkle in somewhere. It’s easy to do and fits in with a student budget!

Glitter brogues, Topshop, £30
Velvet flippy dress, Topshop, £30

Drop earrings, Accessorize, £9

Whether you’re into the masculine trend or are a bit of a girly-girl, this season the shops are catering to all tastes. Pair a sheer shirt and silk trousers with statement flats for an androgynous look or feminise it with some  heels. If you prefer simplicity go for a statement dress and accessorise with a pair of drop earrings, a bold necklace, or a skinny belt.

Satin trousers, H & M, £24.99

Midi dress, Miss Selfridge, £39
Sheer shirt, New Look, £22.99

Remember that wearing an outfit twice doesn’t mean it has to look the same – wear a dress with heels for a seasonal party look or with a jumper and flats for the all-important Christmas dinner. Alternatively change around the accessories by going all-out for a ball and minimal for a club night.  If you’re looking for a long-term investment that will survive the ever-changing world of fashion then go for the LBD (little black dress); a sure hit for any party.

TIPS:

• Think seasonal colours such as red, gold, green,
    purple, and of course classic black and white monochrome.
  • Check out pre-Christmas sales – many shops are
    giving up to 30% off on seasonal offers.
  • Don’t forget a clutch for your essentials.
  • Stick to your style! You don’t have to follow
    trends completely, pick and mix to create your own.

LBD, Topshop, £50
Black suede heel, New Look, £29.99

And for any guys looking for a party outfit don’t fear, there are plenty of options. The tux is not necessary but take some inspiration from it – wear a black suit jacket or blazer with a white shirt and some coloured trousers. Or go the other way around with a denim shirt and some suit trousers; don’t forget cuff links for a quick update to your outfit – they’re a cheap way to accessorise. And if the Christmas party isn’t really your thing pick up a wooly fairisle jumper to keep in the festive spirit.

Green skinny trousers, Topman, £36
Black blazer, H & M, £39.99Oxford white shirt, New Look, £14.99 Fairisle jumper, H & M, £24.99