Music, Models and Magic Tricks; The Hair Show 2011

1

On Tuesday 29th November the Health and Beauty Society joined forces with SHINE hairdressers to put on The Hair Show 2011, a catwalk of hairstyles hoping to inspire girls to be creative with their ‘updos’ for any Christmas balls and other events over this year’s festive season.

The stylists were working around the theme of ‘the mad hatter’ which admittedly did seem a little off theme for Christmas, however it did allow for some more controversial and daring looks. Becci, the Health and Beauty Society Publicity Officer, praised SHINE, stating that ‘they were extremely enthusiastic and hardworking and it really showcased their talent as hairdressers!’

Unfortunately the event was battling technical problems all night which meant a delayed start. However, all the guests were well looked after and kept entertained by the talents of the Magic Society. The Health and Beauty Committee were very gracious in dealing with problems that were outside of their control and they ‘would just like to thank everyone for being so patient’. The Jazz Society also put in a solid performance, dancing to the topical ‘Glam’ by Christina Aguilera. It was great to see so many different university societies working together to provide such a well-rounded event.

I felt that the models could have benefitted from more direction and training on the runway; but for a non-professional production I was very impressed with their efforts.The technical faults were again a nuisance as there were also a few musical cut outs during the show. It takes courage to volunteer to model, without having to complete your catwalk in awkward silence – so it was good of them for powering on like true professionals. Nile and Gemma, our hosts for the show, did a great job and kept smiling throughout the difficulties.

The Health and Beauty Society obviously put a lot of trouble and hard work into this event and despite adverse circumstances I would call it a great success.