Wessex Lifestyle’s Top Tips for Sale Survival.

0

It’s that time of year again. Turkey leftovers for dinner for the whole week, the guilt we all feel after over-indulging, and new year’s resolutions are at the forefront of the minds of many. It’s also time for shops to be loaded with desirable discounts and offers, tempting those who are searching for things that they didn’t get for Christmas. There is always the risk of overspending unnecessarily, so here are a few of Wessex Lifestyle’s top tips for surviving the January sales.

Top Tip #1: Choose wisely.

It might be tempting to spend all your money on unusual and extravagant items, but think rationally.  If you’ll never wear it or use it, you’re buying just because it’s on offer, and it’s a waste of money. However, buying something identical to what you already own will mean another shopping trip again in the near future, so don’t shy away from the unusual, but really consider if and when you’d wear or use it. It might be more sensible to buy staple items for your wardrobe or home that you don’t already have, and use any money left in your budget for something a little more out of the ordinary.

Top Tip #2: Go Online

Online sales are the way forward. No, you can’t try before you buy if you’re looking at clothing, but with online shopping becoming more popular by the year, you can grab some great offers that wouldn’t exist in the shops, especially for DVDs, CDs and games. And let’s not forget companies who only trade on the internet. Delivery costs might increase the price drastically though, so make sure you read the fine print, returns policies and delivery details first.

Top Tip #3: Budget, Budget, Budget.

There is no point in specifically going sale shopping if you’re barely going to save any money. Ensure that the offer in front of you is actually worth it, and the discount is worthwhile. Although you might feel that spending ‘only’ £50 instead of £90 is a real bargain, ask yourself if you’d be willing to spend that much normally.

Top Tip #4:  Think Ahead.

Graduating this year? Applying for jobs, work experience or placements often means formal wear, so save some money by buying shirts, ties and dresses in the sales. Remember that many placements will be during the warmer weather seasons though, so buy suitable items!  If you’ll be moving into rented accommodation after the summer, think about what you might need in your new house and have a look at household items, including electronics, furniture and furnishings.