Ditch the Diet; Detox Your Wardrobe

1

It’s that time of year again when the majority of us are desperately squeezing ourselves into our jeans, which have miraculously become two sizes too small after a few mince pies and too much baileys (okay maybe more than a few). When January ensues and we make ourselves even more miserable by living on salad so we can get back to normal for the New Year, it is easy to become disheartened. So why not try a different kind of detox which will take your mind off the muffin tops – one that is more exciting, motivating and much easier to keep to! Try detoxing your wardrobe, and perhaps even revamping your style for the New Year in the process.

So many of my friends say ‘I’m always buying new clothes, and yet I never seem to have any!’ We’ve all done it – filled our wardrobes with clothes we’ll never wear, and instead choose almost exactly the same outfit nearly every day of the week. My theory on this is that we are always trying to be daring, we think we’ll wear that fluorescent pair of shorts when really we’ll stick to the same t-shirt and jeans combo. So how do we get out of this rut?

don’t listen to that voice that says it might come back into fashion in the next few years

The answer is to create your own ‘Capsule Wardrobe’. A’ Capsule Wardrobe’ is a small selection of clothes which you can mix and match to create different looks. In order to create this, you need to declutter all of those clothes which you think one day you’ll wear, but you never will! It is always a good idea to bring in a close confidante – ideally someone like a housemate, who knows you well and be honest with you. Lay everything on your bed and be brutal! Pick everything up which you haven’t worn in the last year (and don’t listen to that voice that says it might come back into fashion in the next few years), be honest with yourself and bag it up and send it to a charity shop (there are plenty of them in Portswood).

Once you’ve done this, you’re well on your way to your new Capsule Wardrobe. However, in the spirit of the New Year, it is always nice to treat yourself to some new clothes, and maybe even update your style and be daring.  After all, it is the perfect time of year for it, with the post-Christmas sales in full swing. The key to not reverting back to old ways and buying clothes which you will never wear is remembering that this is a capsule wardrobe. Buy clothes that you know you’re comfortable in, but that stray ever so slightly from the usual.  For example, if you are accustomed to wearing jeans, switch it up and buy a pair of Capri trousers instead. These are extremely flattering, versatile and are still winter friendly.  Not only will this process be satisfying, but it will also help motivate you for the other stresses of the month, namely those post-Christmas diets, and of course those impending exams!

I'm a second year student reading English. I'm nearing twenty (scary) and am originally from Surrey. I live in Portswood (as most of us do) and intend to continue writing in some form as a career in the future.