‘I love you, just the way you are’ : Media Versus Reality.

0

‘Nigella Lawson’s definitely attractive’

‘Nigella Lawson’s definitely attractive’ was the phrase that got me thinking last weekend when chatting to the guys in my house. For sure, I by no means disagree with this; rather it took me by surprise to hear this coming from 20 years old lads, having always considered her ‘one for the more mature man’. It’s refreshing to hear this in a world that can be seen to be obsessed with super skinny, size zeros and toned stomachs. But why, I asked myself, are we obsessed with weight? The less of which appearing to be the better, in a society that calls for acceptance of everyone. The answer seems to me, to be the fact that we are not obsessed with size, but the media is. In short the media does not reflect true public opinion and projects an untrue and unrepresentative image. It does not take long to realise that there is a great danger from this. Women, from a young age are told that ‘skinny is sexy’, 13 year old girls pour over magazines filled with skinny models, unconscious to the fact that they are being brainwashed into future diets, calorie counting and under confidence.

I’m not advocating that being skinny is wrong, many women are naturally slim. However, I believe it is fundamentally wrong and upsetting to see women unhappy with their bodies and under confident because they do not fit ‘the image’. In fact, the belief and idealising of ‘the image’ is where general opinion and media hype part company. All men are different and so what they consider attractive differs. Men may have an idea of their ‘perfect woman’ however, what one man considers perfect to another is as different as chalk and cheese.  

What one man considers perfect to another is as different as chalk and cheese 

What is constant for all men is that emaciated unnaturally skinny women are not attractive. The sooner mainstream media realises this, the better.

Some brands are capitalising on this need for ‘real women’ and are rightly celebrated for doing so. How much more refreshing it would be if we lived in a world that did not celebrate this because it was considered the norm to have women of all different shapes and sizes modelling, a world in which marketing was closer to real, ‘non airbrushed’ life.

Women such as Marilyn Monroe are often seen as sex symbols because of their curves and, more importantly, their confidence. An inner confidence that makes no apologies but shouts out ‘this is who I am, take it or leave it, but I’m happy with myself’. Sophia Loren once said ‘Nothing makes a women more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful.’

<p>Nothing makes a women more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful 

Sophia Loren
How true it is that confidence equals sex-appeal. The appeal of a shy, physically attractive girl may be shattered by her obvious focus on her defects that draws others to look at them. Yet a curvaceous, confident woman who learns to embrace her defects, rather than drawing attention to them, can never be considered unattractive or overlooked by men and women alike. So let us free ourselves of the unrealistic media hyped image, and rather than dieting for our resolution confidently learn to love ourselves just the way we are.