Basic Savoury Mince

2

I love this. It’s one of those recipes that is so easily adaptable, and goes with everything. You name it, and it’ll work. Pasta, jacket potatoes, rice… the possibilities are endless. I normally make it in my slow cooker, just adding all the ingredients and leaving it to simmer for a couple of hours. The smell is gorgeous and lingers in the kitchen for hours, bound to make anyone hungry. However, I’m aware that most students probably don’t have a slow cooker (although they should, they’re such an amazing invention and fairly cheap!) so I’ve adapted this recipe for frying. Also, this recipe works just as well with Quorn/soya mince for those veggies 🙂

Ingredients:

500g Lean Mince
Can of Chopped Tomatoes
1 Onion
1 Garlic Clove
1tbsp Beef Bovril
1tbsp Olive Oil
Splash of Red Wine
Splash of Worcester Sauce
Sprinkling of Salt + Pepper

Method:

1. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium/high heat and fry until clear.

2. Add the mince and fry until browned. Once brown, turn the heat down to its lowest possible setting.

3. Add the chopped tomatoes, wine, bovril, worcester sauce, salt and pepper. Place a lid over the mince and leave to simmer for a couple of hours.

4. When done, leave the mince to cool before adding it to your carb of choice.

5. Enjoy your delicious dinner…

I have always wanted to write. It's more of a need than a want. I will not rest until I am a professional journalist, and I am going to start with the Wessex Scene...

to confess to hanvig eaten the whole five-egg catastrophe in a sitting. (After a none-too-slimming dinner of bourek.) Tagged with: Dessert Egg Fruit Bourek / Pirozhki / Pasty / Samosa