MagicSoc presents Luke Jermay: Mind Reader

0

Magician Luke Jermay wowed a sold out Cube audience on Thursday as he brought his amazing show to Southampton. A brilliant mix of comedy and mind reading, even cynics were left impressed with his skills.

Entertainment beforehand was provided by members of the magic and circus societies, showing off their card tricks and juggling skills in the packed SUSU bar.

Luke Jermay, best known in the UK for writing shows for Derren Brown and Dynamo, has spent years in Las Vegas perfecting his showmanship and this was very much in evidence as he kept the spectating students enthralled. His astounding routine included performing several mind reading tricks on audience members, drawing a picture of a flute as visualised by one participant and identifying the word “neighbourhood” selected randomly from a choice of books by one particularly cynical attendee.

His most impressive feat took place blindfolded – waving his hand above a passport and correctly identifying the name of it’s owner. When heckled he went on to read out the passport number, making the audience collectively gasp with awe.

Reaction was universally positive, many remarking to me that they’d never seen a show performed like it

After his final trick, crushing a series of cups with his hand leaving only the cup under which an unwilling volunteer had hidden a metal spike, much of the student crowd headed to the Stag’s Head where conversation revolved around guessing how his tricks were performed. Reaction was universally positive, many remarking to me that they’d never seen a show performed like it and that SUSU should play host to more magic shows. Credit must go to MagicSoc, SUSU Performing Arts and of course Luke Jermay for organising such a successful event.