Sweet & Savoury Student Pancakes

3

Forget Valentine’s Day – the most important day in Februrary is Shrove Tuesday. To the hungry student, this can be defined as Pancake Day. This British festival has been a tradition since the Middle Ages. In order to use up all the butter, sugar, flour and eggs for the religious period of Lent, some genius decided to combine all of these ingredients, thus creating the pancake. They were so delicious that from that day, the tradition was born. Pancakes are loved by all. Warm, soft and fluffy… they are, quite simply, delicious. Here are two of my fail-safe and much loved recipes for Pancake Day, both savoury and sweet…

Nicola Manuel: Illustration

INGREDIENTS:

8tbsp Self-Raising Flour
1 Egg
4tbsp Caster Sugar
Milk (the amount varies)
1tbsp Butter
The topping of your choice (I like lemon and sugar or nutella)

METHOD:

1. Sift the flour into a large jug. Pancakes normally require plain flour but i like to use self-raising as it puts the cake into pancakes – making them light, luscious and fluffy.

2. Add the sugar to the mixture, stirring it to mix it with the flour.

3. Break the egg into the mixture and whisk it in with a fork.

4. Add the milk whilst continuing to whisk the mixture until it’s nice and runny but still quite thick.

4. Melt the butter in a smallish saucepan. When melted, quickly add some of the mixture till the pan is filled.

5. Keep the heat low. When the mixture appears to have hardened around the sides flip it over using a fork.

6. You can use the fork to keep checking the pancake’s under-side to see when it’s done. It should be puffy and no longer runny.

7. Serve the pancake still warm with the topping of your choice.

If you fancy something different, try my savoury version. They’re just as delicious and appeal to those salty tastebuds rather than your sweet tooth. Serve them dinner on Shrove Tuesday for a wonderful treat. I like to add cheese and ham but you can vary this, for example using cheese and marmite, ham and pineapple or even frankfurters and onion if you’re really in a savoury mood…

SAVOURY PANCAKES:

INGREDIENTS:

8tbsp Self-Raising Flour
1 Egg
2tbsp Grated Cheese
2tbsp Ham, sliced into small chunks
Milk (the amount varies)
1tbsp Butter
Pinch of salt

METHOD:

1. Sift the flour into a large jug.

2. Add the salt, cheese and ham to the mixture, stirring them all in to mix with the flour.

7. Serve the pancake still warm. Enjoy!

I have always wanted to write. It's more of a need than a want. I will not rest until I am a professional journalist, and I am going to start with the Wessex Scene...