Eggcellent Alternative Easter Gifts

0

The Easter weekend is almost here after months of waiting for the supermarkets’ seasonal aisle to finally come into season. We have been bombarded by egg multi-buys, the ‘not just any’ hot cross bun recipe and slow motion adverts celebrating half price meat joints.

But for those among you who are tired of the commercialised furore or would prefer something just a little bit different, the Wessex Scene has sought out some alternative Easter gifts.

Chocolate is the word and foodstuff on everyone’s lips at this time of year, but there are some ways to avoid the run of the mill egg.

Having ordered from The Chocolate Library  before, I can vouch for the good quality of the products. What’s more, the majority of their chocolate gifts can be personalised for extra appeal. Bars like this will set you back £4.95. I also love the IKEA-esque flatpack egg below.

If your budget will stretch a little bit further why not try a quirky Easter chocolate treat from Hotel Chocolat. Their Choc Cross Buns are new for 2012 and are filled with ginger, cinnamon and raisins for a modern take on the traditional treat.

Artisan du Chocolat have also gone down the innovative route with their Eggsplosion Hen Eggs which feature a popping candy coating and are available for just under £10. For picnic lovers, the brand have also introduced a giant chocolate scotch egg complete with marshmallow filling and a passion-fruit yolk (£12.99). Both of the above chocolatiers also sell sugar free, dairy free and gluten free Easter gifts.

If you want to have a go at making your own creation, Easter egg moulds are readily available this year from high street shops in different sizes and designs. M&S do a silicone mould suitable for chocolate, cake or jelly.

On a chocolate related note, this quirky mug would make a nice Easter gift. If it is kept in a non-student household, it is likely to survive slightly longer than a chocolate equivalent, too. Visit Not on the high street to bag this beauty.

Whittard do the perfect accompaniment for this gift in the form of Easter Chocolate Truffle Tea at £5 per pouch. It’s a definite must-have for anyone craving chocolate without the calories.

However, if you would prefer to work off a chocolate feast with  physical and mental exercise, do not despair. Guinness World Records are encouraging amateurs to break the record for the longest distance an egg is dropped without breaking. The kit includes a parachute and could be a perfect Easter gift for a big kid, or a student house full of them.

Aside from its impact on hips and thighs and its possible medicinal benefit (fingers crossed), chocolate has few far-reaching consequences.

However, charities are hoping to encourage individuals to apply their Easter generosity to a project that definitely will continue to give long after the Easter Egg hunts have finished.

In a bid to save the best until last, some eggcellent and unique gifts for the Easter season can be found on charity websites.  Oxfam Unwrapped will provide a family in Tanzania with chickens and subsequently, a steady supply of eggs and produce for £5. Also, over the Easter period the UK government have agreed to match pound for pound any money made in CAFOD’s ‘Give It Up’ campaign which supports work for water access, sanitation and hygiene world wide.