Independent Clothing – Why Companies like Quintessential Fashion will stop you looking like a High Street Clone

2

When I go shopping to buy clothes I like to walk in and leave with minimal fuss having picked some things that look good, and that won’t leave my wallet wanting to cry in a hot shower for hours. Unfortunately I often feel the eyes of shops such as All Saints and Urban Outfitters looking down on me as my all too empty student pockets trudge past and into a Primark where I am forced to perform the shopping equivalent of polishing a turd. Often I return empty handed or with only one or two items of clothing. I share my discerning nature with countless other young people who don’t want to part with what cash they have for bland and unoriginal clothing.

The reality is that most of us shop in places like Topshop which can be found on every high street in the UK stocking similar clothes to similar people. The result is a strange reality in which everyone between the ages of sixteen to late twenties wears the slightly varied uniform of some sort of high street consumer militia.

There does seem to be an alternative to the set clothing of the high street and the limited reach of my bank balance however. Recently I started browsing the websites of smaller independent clothing companies such as Quintessential Fashion – the creation of Surrey-based entrepreneur Ollie Temple, and I am impressed.

QF is fast establishing itself as one of the first of many brands to bring a higher quality and growing variety of designs with a rough edginess to the independent clothing market. This is a refreshing change from the often sickly sweet styles of other companies such as Drop Dead Clothing – whose scene-kiddish styles I never took much of a shine to. QF have a rapidly growing range of designs for both sexes and are even branching into pocket mirrors and iPhone cases. Whilst the appeal of wearing unique clothes that won’t be worn by every other bloke you pass in the street is one of the main draws of brands such as QF, the level of quality in designs such as ‘The Gentleman’ and ‘Tea Shirt’ mean that you’ll look better dressed than them too.

QF are expanding quicker than they ever imagined. Ollie has experienced so much demand that he has had to employ more designers and models as well as his sister to help with P&P so that customers get their orders on time. But it’s not all just hard work and no play– QF recently sponsored the after party for the band All Time Low in Birmingham where they gave out freebies and announced themselves on the national stage. The ball is well and truly rolling for QF and it’s not difficult to see a bright future for this ambitious company.

Aside from the personal gains of saving a few quid and looking better than your average punter for it, purchasing clothes from independent companies helps budding businesses to blossom. This inspires a knock on effect which inspires more would-be entrepreneurs to start companies, meaning more variety for us consumers and breaking the stranglehold of high street shops on the way we all dress.

Quintessential Fashion’s store can be found online at: http://shop.quintessentialf.com/

I study history. I like sport.