Jubilee Tea Party

0

It’s the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee on the 5th June and the end of exam period for most of us. What more excuse is needed for an end of term tea party?

Here’s some ideas to help you get inspired:

Scones

Scones are a tea party essential. These can be bought pretty cheaply, however if you’re feeling creative they’re so easy to bake. There’s loads of recipes on the Internet but this is a simple one from the BBC:

Ingredients

225g/8oz self raising flour

pinch of salt

sultanas (optional)
55g/2oz butter

25g/1oz caster sugar

150ml/5fl oz milk

1 free-range egg, beaten

Preparation method

Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
Cool on a wire rack and serve
Jam and clotted cream make ideal accompaniments.

Raspberry Linzer Slices

Every good tea party needs some cake. Raspberry Linzers are a perfect summer cake, and they’re pretty easy too! Here is the recipe from ‘Good Food’:

Ingredients

• 175g plain flour
  • 50g ground rice
  • 85g golden caster sugar
  • 140g cold butter , diced
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground cloves
  • 8 tbsp raspberry jam
  • 2 tsp caster sugar

Method:

1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a 21 or 22cm square, shallow baking tin with baking parchment. Put the flour, ground rice and sugar in a bowl with the butter and rub in until fine crumbs form. Stir in the milk with a cutlery knife. Stir in cinnamon and cloves. Tip three-quarters into the tin and press down evenly. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden and crisp looking.
  2. Stir the jam in a bowl to loosen a little, then spread over the base. Crumble over the remaining slice mixture and bake for 5-10 mins more until the topping is golden. Scatter with 2 tsp caster sugar, cool in the tin, then slice into squares.

Pimm’s O’Clock?

If you’re not in the mood for tea, why not opt for Pimm’s? Add ice to a jug, add one part Pimm’s (or a substitute, Sainsbury’s ‘Pitchers’ is just as nice and a more economical option) and three parts lemonade. Garnish with some mint leaves, chopped cucumber and strawberries.

Hello there!