Summer Fashion Trends 2012

0

Imagery by Eleanor Longhurst

This summer whether you’re tanning on the beach, sight-seeing the capitals, travelling student-style, or catching the, well, rain in England, there’s a trend for you. This summer sees the transformation of sportswear into day-wear, a revival of old-time Americana, pretty pastels and native prints.

For sportswear as day-wear try silky separates; team running shorts with a blazer or t shirt in candy cane or neon colours. If you’re feeling particularly daring, try the wedge high top trainers as well.

Hidden Wedge Trainer, £40, River IslandSilk Runner Shorts, £32, Topshop

Americana sees the come-back of the denim jacket. Whether over-sized, cropped, light or dark, print or pattern, roll the sleeves up and you’re good to go. For Americana also think jeans, skirted prom dresses, cute cardigans, pointed court shoes, and ‘50s style sunglasses.

Denim Jacket, £24.99, H&M

For pretty pastels think lavender, lemon, and mint, or go ultra girly with broderie-anglaise. Layer sugary colours together, in a variety of textures, from jumpers to blouses to t shirts.  To be the ultimate lady, wear lace or frills on your dresses, cutesy collars, or sleek cut off trousers to toughen up the look.

Retro Sunglasses, £9, Asos
Lacy Sundress, £36, Topshop

Native prints work great with denim out of the sun but even better on the beach. Match the print to the exotic holiday, from Navajo to Aztec to animal prints, they work alone or clashed together, for example try an animal print bikini under a native print cover up.

Print Cover-Up, £18, River Island

And for the boys…

For men’s trends this summer think sun-bleached neutrals such as beige, cream and white. The old-time Americana trend pops up again but fast-forwards twenty years or so to the ‘70s with cotton print polo shirts. And shorts (who would have thought?) work great with either, just add a pop of colour.

Plane print cotton shirt, £26, TopmanBright blue shorts, £12.99, H&M (more colours)