FashSoc Promo Shoot: A Sporting Triumph

0

Isabella Hunter-Fajardo went along to see the first sport-themed shoot of the newly formed Fashion and Style Society on Friday 15th March. Although it was originally meant to be shot at Wide Lane where a rugby match was being held, the lovely Spring weather we having meant that it was confined to the SUSU building. Here’s the low-down of what went on…

Sports shoot: American Football
Sports shoot: American Football

At 11am, last-minute photographer Jack Hamilton, reluctant models President Shannon Cross and myself, runner Mahreen Hashmi and talented make-up artists Anna Grace and Samar Fageiry got ready for the first shoot. Although it was originally to be a tennis themed one, it ended up being shot in a squash court. This was followed by a vintage cheerleader shoot outside with President Shannon Cross modelling. Then came grudgy, bad-ass basketball girls, shot in the Martial Arts room, of all places. Finally, there was an American Football and Referee shoot, which was taken pretty much all over the SUSU building.

Sports shoot: vintage cheerleader
Sports shoot: vintage cheerleader

The following morning, at the disturbingly early time of 7am sharp, came the vintage pin-up shoot at Sprinkles. FashSoc were given two hours – before it gets busy – to pull of a range of shots. The lovely soft lighting and editing, and of course the great location, meant that some more brilliant shots were taken, despite the early start. Credit to photographes Sai On Lewis Tang and Steph Tudgey, stunning model Amalie Abdellatif, make-up artists Anna Grace and Samar Fageiry, and hair artists Laura Heather and Shannon Cross.

Vintage shoot at Spinkles Gelato
Vintage shoot at Spinkles Gelato

Finally, on Sunday, came the last shoot: ‘geek-chic’ shot at Hartley Library. Unfortunately this was unable to go ahead, despite an abundance of volunteers, because the photographer was ill. It’s being rescheduled for after Easter, so if you’re interested in being involved, look below for contact details!

It was so much fun doing the shoot. Even though I really didn’t want to model, I did enjoy getting Cara Delevinge eyebrows and prancing around in padded trousers, a helmet and heels. All the people involved were great, there to have fun and practice their interests, be it styling, photography or modelling.

If you’re interested in FashSoc, email Shannon at fashion@soton.ac.uk and join the facebook page here. Also, here is the Society blog, which has some more of the photos taken, and the Tumblr.

Behind-the-scenes at the Vintage Pin-up shoot at Sprinkles Gelato

History student with Mandarin on the side. Spent a year in China and a semester in Spain, plan to go back to China again after graduation. Opinion Editor at the Wessex Scene for two years.