Chorizo, Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Risotto

1

Each week, I will be giving the Wessex Scene exclusive recipes for you hungry students, which are quick, easy and a bit more inventive than your standard spaghetti Bolognaise!

For my first week, try this great one-pot-wonder that can get everyone in your student house cooking together. The result is a fantastically satisfying dish that will beat a pot-noodle any day!

Ingredients (Serves 3) 

2 cloves of garlic, crushed.

1 onion, finely diced.

2 red peppers, deseeded and diced.

Risotto Ingredients
Risotto Ingredients

1 stick of celery, finely diced.

1/3 of a butternut squash, deseeded and grated.

100g cubed chorizo sausage (you can also leave the chorizo out if you are vegetarian)

250g Arborio risotto rice.

1 litre warm chicken stock.

50g grated parmesan (optional)

Olive or sunflower oil for frying.

Salt and pepper.

Method:

1. Gently fry the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic in oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan until soft but not brown.

2. Add the cubed chorizo and fry, stirring occasionally, to release the flavoursome oils. If you like it a bit spicy add half a teaspoon of paprika, and a couple of dashes of tabasco, or a sprinkling of chilli powder!

3. Then add the grated butternut squash, and cook on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.

4. Next, stir in the rice to coat in the delicious oils, and sauté for 3 minutes until the edges of the grains begin to turn translucent.

5. Now add your first ladle full of stock, and stir until almost absorbed.

6. Stir in the next ladle of stock, and repeat as the rice absorbs it. Continue this until the rice is a creamy consistency, and still has a bit of bite when you taste it! You may need more or less stock, dependent on how soft/firm you wish the risotto to be!

7. To finish, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and a knob of better to give the dish a rich, velvety texture!

Cost per portion: 56p. This just goes to show that eating good quality, fresh home-cooked food doesn’t have to break the bank!

The final result!
The final result!

James’ Top Tips:

If you have a leftover Parmesan rind hanging around in the fridge, put it into the risotto when you start adding the stock. It will give the rice even more flavour!

Add a splash of red or white wine to the sautéed rice to give an even greater depth of flavour. The rest of the bottle is now primed for Jesters pre-drinks!