Classic Sticky Toffee Pudding

0

The pub classic is definitely a crowd-pleaser! This indulgent desert is perfect all year round, and is went down very well when I cooked it in my Glen Eyre halls kitchen last year! It’s the perfect pudding for the novice student cook, or the accomplished baker; it won’t disappoint!

Ingredients (Serves 6)

55g Unsalted butter,

170g Soft brown sugar, Sticky Toffee Pudding

2 Free-range eggs,

200g Self raising flour (plus a little extra for flouring) 

200g Dried, pitted dates (roughly chopped),

1tsp Bicarbonate of soda,

1tsp Baking powder,

1tsp Instant coffee granules.

280ml Boiling water.

For the sauce:

120ml Double Cream,

60g Unsalted Butter,

60g Soft brown sugar.

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 2000c (1900c  for fan ovens) or gas mark 6.

2. Grease and flour a medium sized oven baking tin.

3. Combine the chopped dates, bicarbonate of soda and coffee into a dish, cling-film to retain the heat, and set to one side.

4. Cream the butter and sugar together using electric beaters (or by hand if you’re feeling strong) until fluffy. Then add in the beaten eggs a little at a time.

5. Next sift in the flour and baking powder and combine well.

6. Use hand blender to blitz down the soft, soaked dates, and then fold this into the rest of the mixture. (If you don’t have a hand blender, you can roughly mash the date mixture with a potato masher!).

Sticky Toffee Pudding

7. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tray, and bake for roughly 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and firm to the touch.

8. Whilst it is baking, combine all the ingredients for the sauce, add a pinch of salt and heat over a low heat until it’s all melted together into a sticky brown sauce!

9. Leave the cooked sponge for a while until it is warm but not piping hot. Next, take a sharp knife or skewer and prick the top of the sponge all over. Then pour over the sauce evenly. The aim of skewing the sponge was to make sure that as you are pouring the sauce over the cooked sponge, it absorbs right into the middle!

10. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Cost per portion: A measly 50p!

James’s top tips:

If you are unsure if the pudding is done, insert a sharp knife into the top. If it is clean when you remove it, the sponge is done!