It’s the start of a new university year and the start of a new term at The Foodent Union, and I will be putting together student and wallet friendly recipes to get you through the long days in Hartley and the longer nights in Jesters…
This week’s recipe is a smoked mackerel rarebit on toasted English muffins. This quick and easy dish transforms your cheese on toast into a gourmet dish that is a cut above your average hangover snack!
1 English muffin
1 fillet of smoked mackerel
1 handful of grated mature cheddar
1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
2 egg yolks
A sprinkling of finely chopped chives (optional)
A splash of Worcester sauce
Salt and pepper
1. Turn your grill onto a medium heat.
2. Flake the mackerel.
3. Combine the flaked mackerel, cheddar, mustard and chives together in a small bowl.
4. Season with a good helping of salt and pepper.
5. Halve the muffin and lightly toast both sides under the grill.
6. Spread the mixture over both halves of the muffin and place back under the grill.
7. Remove once golden brown and bubbling.
Voila! This indulgent brunch snack is guaranteed to be a winner!
Approx. cost per portion: £1.10