Autumn/Winter 2013: The High Street Top Ten

2

In the Scene logoAs the weather gets increasingly cold, it’s time to turn our attention to autumn/winter dressing. I love the chance to layer up with cosy knits and chunky boots. This season, the high street is full of great pieces which aren’t specific to one trend; you’ll be able to use them next winter as well! Here’s my pick of the Top Ten items available on the High Street this season.

1. The Zara Coat

Coat, £79.99 (photo courtesy of Zara)
Coat, £79.99 (photo courtesy of Zara)

I couldn’t write about High Street fashion without mentioning Zara. Zara is, for me, the best shop on the British high street! The instore collections change regularly so you’re guaranteed spot something you’ve not seen before (which may not be great for your bank balance!) Although a little pricey, this coat is sure to see you through the autumn and winter months this year and next. The oversized boyfriend style is universally flattering and means that you can layer up without feeling ‘bulky’.  It also contains wool, which will keep you cosy on chilly evenings. The beige colour is really versatile and looks great with burgundy tones.

Topshop Malta leather brogue boots, £45 (photo courtesy of Topshop)
Topshop Malta leather brogue boots, £45
(photo courtesy of Topshop)

2. The Topshop Boots 
At only £45, these Topshop leather boots are great value. I love the vintage brogue style and the tan colour really will go with anything! They’re perfect to wear when running between lectures! Pair them with jeans and a fairisle jumper for a go-to winter look. Be sure to take your student card when shopping at Topshop. 10% discount is offered all year round but look out for 20% events too.

3. The New Look hat

Mohair bobble hat, £5.99 (photo courtesy of New Look)

I love the excuse to wrap up in knitwear! A cosy hat is a must. I love this one from New Look, which is a bargain at £5.99 and comes in a range of colours. The mohair makes it super soft and warm and I love the cute bobble detail! New Look also offer a 10% student discount.

4. The Urban Outfitters skirt 

Urban Outfitters skirt, £38 (photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters)
Urban Outfitters skirt, £38
(photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters)

Although this piece may seem slightly more ‘trend directed’ than the others, it too is sure to last you beyond this season. Tartan is a classic print which is popular every time the autumn/winter season rolls around. Urban Outfitters has a great range of tartan skirts if this particular print isn’t for you. I love the punk-influenced zip detail pockets and the skater shape of this skirt. Add thick tights, a chunky knit and Chelsea boots for the perfect ‘heritage inspired’ look. Like Topshop, UO offer a 10% student discount all year round, with frequent 20% events.

H&M jumper, £9.99, (photo courtesy of H&M)

5. The H&M Knit 

‘It’s so fluffy!’ Fluffy knitwear is everywhere this season and it’s not hard to see why! Not only is it super cosy, it also adds   interesting texture to any look. Chuck it on over jeans or  leggings and you’re good to go! This H&M knit is a real bargain at only £9.99 – that’s less than the average Dominos!

River Island blouse, £25  (photo courtesy of River Island)
River Island blouse, £28
(photo courtesy of River Island)

6. The River Island Blouse 

For me, the Chelsea Girl collection is my favourite thing about River Island. I love the vintage inspired details on each garment like the embroidery on this beautiful shirt. Available in cream and a duck egg blue colour, it’s a must have!

7. The Paisley Dress
Another beautiful UO piece! I love this paisley-style printed dress in a beautiful burgundy colour. Not only will it see you through many an event this season, you could even take it through to next summer’s festival season! Pop a plain white shirt underneath and add black tights and patent brogues for a Sixties style smart look. £42, photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters. 

Dress (photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters)  £42

Accessorize bag, £45 (photo courtesy of Accessorize)

8. The Accessorize Stag Detail Bag 

This bag is a rework of one of Accessorize’s most popular bags from last year. The stag head detail adds a ‘heritage’ kind of feel to the bag. It’s big enough for use as an everyday handbag or even for use when you’re going to lectures and seminars.

9. The Cath Kidston jumper

Although Cath Kidston isn’t on the Southampton high street, there’s a branch not far away in Winchester. The motif of this jumper is so cute and I love the flecked wool. At £65, it’s got a pretty hefty price tag so it’s maybe one to ask Santa for!

Cath Kidston jumper, £65  (photo courtesy of Cath Kidston).
Cath Kidston jumper, £65
(photo courtesy of Cath Kidston).

10. The ‘Grunge’ Cardi 

Keep cosy and add a punk inspired vibe to your look with this gorgeous tartan cardigan from Miss Selfridge. Like Topshop, keep a look out for 20% off events which occur every few months!

Miss Selfridge cardigan, £39 (photo courtesy of Miss Selfridge)

Have any of these pieces caught your eye? Will you be making a trip to the High Street this weekend?

Image by Rachel Wootton.
Image by Rachel Wootton.

Ahhh I love this – so refreshing to see something tartan included other than a scarf! I hate how literally everyone has one now! These bits look like they’ll last a few seasons too – I love that Cath Kidston jumper!