Teatoxing: the New Craze

In our day and age, the fitness culture has risen to an all-time high, hosting a range of crazes from Zumba to 30 Day Squat challenges. Yet, recently, a slightly unusual trend has gone viral and dominated the scene. Every social networking or internet site remotely linked to the theme of weight loss and heathy living has been flooded with advertisements, photos and reviews of herbal tea concoctions that form part of a new and evidently popular trend called ‘teatoxing’. With one simple hashtag search, there is a plethora of weight loss advice and tricks deriving from drinking tea – who would say no to that?

What on earth is a TEATOX?

This new ‘teatoxing’ obsession promotes healthy weight loss in the form of drinking herbal teas that have been intricately designed to rid your body of toxins and unwanted weight. The ‘teatox’ has been introduced as a way to avoid misconceptions over how to quickly lose weight, such as cutting out important food groups like carbohydrates or opting for the Caesar salad for dinner as oppose to the envied spaghetti carbonara your friend ordered.

Drinking green and herbal teas to detoxify your body have been suggested to inform consumers that ‘diets’ are a fad short-term fix that should be avoided. Instead, this craze promotes and encourages healthy eating as a long-term lifestyle, with ‘teatoxing’ aiming to kickstart this process into an active routine.

From a magical cup of tea to a bikini body

So what exactly is it that these teabags contain that contributes to this magical process of detoxification?

Companies have stated that all the individual ingredients used are 100% natural health supplements and herbs in the form of loose tea leaves.  Most of the ‘teatox’ brands include a mix of nettle leaves, lemongrass, Senna leaves and dandelion leaf, among other natural ingredients in their products. The teas have been produced by combining the appropriate ingredients to accord for the various purposes of each different teabag, i.e. detoxifying and cleansing.  Bootea, a popular ‘teatox’ brand, states that “the ingredients used in our teas have been used for centuries for health and wellbeing purposes, but it is only now we have finally brought all these powerful ingredients into one perfect, rounded product”.

The use of natural stimulants is undeniably appealing to the healthy-eating motivated individual, making these ‘little bags of love’ seem not only attractive but effective on the market of weight loss.

Where there’s tea, there’s hope

The promise of 100% purity within these products is in itself a bold claim, and what many consumers would begin to question is exactly how this ‘teatox’ works and how it should be properly used.

Most of the major brands have created two versions of the teabag in the form of a daytime detox and an evening cleanse to “get lean” and “get clean”. Both have indicated a boosting of your metabolism, an increase in your energy levels, a reduction to your cravings and the clearing up of your skin – claims that are evidently ideal alongside a healthy eating and fitness lifestyle. The main aim of these ‘teatoxes’, however, is to enhance your motivation to kick start a healthy lifestyle and achieve fitness goals; the body is encouraged to embark upon a process of elimination in which unwanted toxins are removed.

It is common among the various brands that the evening cleanse induces a laxative effect brought on by the Senna leaf, and should therefore only be consumed every two days, contributing to the cleansing and detoxifying purpose of the ‘teatox’. The ‘teatoxes’ are mostly available in 14-day or 28-day packages, indicating that they should only be used as a short term encouragement to what should eventually lead to a healthier lifestyle.

Pro’s vs. Con’s

As is the same for every product, there are two sides to the argument over the benefits of this detox craze.

• Uses 100% all-natural ingredients
  • Quick jump start on the track to weight loss
  • Feelings of being less bloated
  • Helps clear your skin as well as encourage your body to detoxify

• The cost. As struggling students, it remains a question as to whether it is justifiable to spend no less than £20 on a 2 week detox
  • The Senna leaf is a natural laxative which works by irritating the bowel and can cause uncomfortableness, painful cramping and the constant need to use the loo!
  • It is not a long term solution

Is it all worth it?

As a 21st century girl, the appeal of any new trend that promotes weight loss will immediately be attractive. ‘Teatoxing’ is appealing because of its natural component and the fact that it is something so easy to embark upon – drinking tea to lose weight, who would have thought?

However, it could be argued that this ‘teatoxing’ phenomenon is simply a commercial stunt. What is stopping the generation of ‘detoxers’ from sticking to the traditional methods of healthy eating and daily jogs? It may be that simply going to the gym, eating fruit and drinking water has become too mainstream in the eyes of social media, and embarking upon these new trends is just a way to keep up to date with society.

The popularity and presence of rising competitors in the ‘teatoxing’ world, including Bootea, SkinnyMe Tea, Skinny Teatox and Swami Mami Teas, however, demonstrate the undeniable evidence that this new trend has become a defining element of the modernised healthy lifestyle. Using a product so characteristic of daily life, such as tea, makes the whole experience seem so easy and practical in comparison to the dreaded walk to the gym. Who would say no to a fat-burning cuppa anyway?