How to Make a Great Chilli Con Carne

For many of you, university is the first time in your life when you’ll have to learn to survive by Chili_con_carne_(4431800858)yourself, and the most important skill that you’ll have to learn is to be able to cook. Follow this simple recipe to make a healthy chilli con carne, which not only gives you a great tasting meal, but also contains elements of all the key food groups.

• 400g Beef Mince Meat
  • 1 Carton of Chopped Tomatoes (either plain, or with chilli)
  • 1 Tin of Kidney Beans (best in chilli sauce, chilli beans are a suitable alternative)
  • 1 White Onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp of Chilli Powder

Side Ingredients:

It is best to eat the chilli with one of these sides, which provide the carbohydrates for your meal.

• Rice (easy cook rice is a good one, whilst brown rice is a healthy choice)
  • Tortilla/Wrap
  • Jacket Potato

1. Start by browning the meat off. Put the meat into a saucepan and turn the heat up to a high temperature. There’s no need to add extra oil to the pan as the natural juices from the beef are a good alternative. Make sure that you keep stirring the beef so that it doesn’t burn. Whilst doing this, empty the tin of kidney beans into a bowl, wash out the tin, and keep it by the sink. If you are baking a potato then the potato should go on around an hour before you start cooking the chilli, whilst if you are having rice with it, then you should also begin to boil the water for the rice now.
  2. Once the meat is fully browned off use a sieve to drain any excess fat from the saucepan into the tin from the kidney beans. It is important the fat is not drained into the sink itself as it will clog up the drains and could result in blocked pipes which you are responsible for. By draining the fat away you’re also creating a healthy dish, so even if you have bought the cheapest mince meat available, all the nasty fats will be gone.
  3. Add the onion into the meat and mix it up for around 2 minutes. Once this is done, add the tomatoes and the kidney beans, mixing them all together. You should turn the heat down to a medium temperature. Once fully mixed, add the chilli powder to the saucepan. It is important to do this once it is fully mixed so that the chilli powder is spread evenly over all of the food in the pan, otherwise you may end up with particularly spicy meat or onion. You can also use any variety of chilli powder, going as hot as you like. Whilst doing this, you should be checking on your side too.
  4. Check the mixture after around 8 minutes, and stir it. If you can see that the mix is beginning to burn, turn the heat down. After another 8 minutes, it should be fully cooked, as should the side. To serve, use a spoon to dish up the chilli, if you want less sauce then use a spoon with holes in and drain off each spoonful before putting it onto a plate. Dish the side up on the plate too, usually placing the chilli on top of the side.

You’ve now got a healthy chilli con carne, and it’s likely that you’ve got enough leftover for lunch or dinner for another day!