4 Ways Coconut Oil Works Miracles

Recently, coconut oil is increasingly being hailed as the miracle remedy for better skin, teeth, and hair. As well as being a great food ingredient and smelling heavenly, it has moisturising properties that are useful all over the body, and it is quickly being adopted as an all-purpose essential oil. Here are four ways that coconut oil can change your life.

It can reduce the appearance of scarring

Extra virgin coconut oil is said to be an effective skin moisturiser as the medium chain fatty acids mean that it is absorbed easily, so it is useful as a substitute for body cream or even lip balm. It is also for this reason that it is thought to reduce scarring by accelerating the healing process. Moisture is essential for scars to heal and coconut oil provides this, as well as a barrier against bacterial infections that could hinder progress. Furthermore, through stimulating the production of collagen, it promotes new, healthy and scar-free skin.

Apply a small amount daily to the scarred skin, in a circular motion to improve blood circulation.

It can remedy oily skin 

For those who suffer from oily skin, it may seem silly to think that putting more oil on your face could ever be a solution. Yet there is a theory that applying an oil such as jojoba or coconut will prevent the skin from producing excess sebum, whilst providing a healthy glow. When the face is stripped of its natural oils by face washes and other products, it produces more – sometimes in excess – which can result in acne. Coconut oil moisturises the skin without clogging the pores and signals to the body that producing more oil is not necessary. Again, it has anti-bacterial properties thus reducing the spread of spots.

After washing the face, apply a small amount (a little goes a very long way) to the skin daily.

It gives hair a healthy shine

Coconut oil can also be used as a hair and scalp moisturiser or even as a deep conditioner. Due to the medium chain fatty acids, it can penetrate the hair shaft better than any other oil to provide thorough moisture, and as oil does not mix with water, it can serve to lock in the moisture from water-based hair products.

For a short-term frizz fix, rub only a small amount of extra virgin coconut oil into your hands (use more if you have thicker hair) and use it to smooth down flyaways. For a long term solution and specifically for afro hair – which does not retain moisture as well as other textures – apply it every day before styling, focusing on the scalp and the ends to prevent breakage.

Coconut oil is an effective cuticle treatment

It is said that coconut oil, with those infamous moisturising fatty acids, can also be the way to healthy-looking nails. Nails, like hair, are made of keratin and so the same principle applies; coconut oil strengthens the cuticles whilst its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties ward off nail infections.

Simply apply oil to the nails daily in a circular motion for quicker growth and a healthy shine.

Coconut oil is available in any supermarket and is a great investment for better looking skin and hair. It is an essential bathroom (or kitchen) cupboard staple and it is easy to see why this new craze has taken off.