A Taste of Austria: Kaiserschmarrn (Scrambled Pancake)

Think of Austria and you immediately think of mountains. Whether you’re skiing down snow covered slopes in winter, or hiking up flower-covered mountain sides in winter, outdoor pursuits in Austria generally require a huge amount of energy.

Kaiserschmarrn is my favourite meal to eat in a hut at the top of a mountain, but it can easily be recreated in your kitchen on a student budget, and is the perfect comfort food on a autumnal evening after a long day of lectures, and will definitely sort out even the most stubborn of hangovers.

It’s a scrambled pancake with stewed apples and a dusting of icing sugar. Kaiserschmarrn literally means ‘Kaiser’s Mess’ or ‘Kaiser’s Folly’. Legend has it this was the preferred dish of Kaiser Franz Joseph, whose one weakness or ‘folly’ was the taste of these scrambled pancakes. I don’t blame him! Read on to find out how to create a simplified version of this royally approved dish in your own student kitchen.

• 16 heaped tablespoons SR flour
    Image Source: Katie Uniacke
  • 4 eggs
  • Milk

Apple Compote:

• 3 large cooking apples (Bramleys)
  • Raisins (optional)
  • Caster sugar

Icing sugar to sprinkle on top.

Serves 4.

Note: The traditional Kaiserschmarrn recipe is for a more complicated sweet pancake- the recipe for which can be found online. I’ve given you my foolproof basic pancake recipe which works just as well and is more student-friendly! If you want to alter the quantities, the rule is generally 1 egg + 4 tablespoons of flour per person.

1. Cut the apples into chunks (I don’t bother peeling them) and throw them in a saucepan with raisins, some caster sugar and a splash of water. Let them cook through slowly on a medium heat until they’ve broken down into apple sauce.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the flour and eggs in a large mixing bowl and add as much milk as necessary to reach a fairly thick liquid consistency.
  3. Heat a dash of oil in a non-stick frying pan and pour in about half a mug of pancake mix. The mixture should cover the base of the frying pan and be about 1cm thick. When the pancake is almost cooked through, flip it. Use two forks (being careful of the frying pan!) to separate the pancake into small chunks. Let them cook a little longer and then put them in a large bowl.
  4. Repeat this process until all of the pancake mix is used up. If you don’t want to use all of the mix for Kaiserschmarrn, you can save the mix for up to two days in the fridge and use it to make regular pancakes for breakfast.
  5. Place a generous amount of Kaiserschmarrn on a plate with a serving of the compote and sprinkle with icing sugar. Tah-dah! Your housemates will love you forever.

Travel addict and linguist! In my final year of BA Spanish and Portuguese. Spent my year abroad working in ecotourism in Bonito, Brazil and travelling South America. Passionate about all kinds of travel, be it a day trip, a weekend break or a year long voyage of discovery! Have a peek a my blog: https://whatkatieisdoing.com/.