A Taste of Spain: Tapas

Tapas is an authentically Spanish dish. It is the combination of many small dishes, which made to be shared with a group of friends or family. They are great as you can have taste many different dishes at once!

The legend goes that during the 10th century the King of Spain was so ill he could only take small bites of food; so he had to snack throughout the day with his wine. When he returned to good health, he decreed a law that said all inns must serve food with alcohol, as he enjoyed the combination so much. And so, the tradition was born. It has now evolved into being more than just a snack to a full meal.

Source: Nuala McBride

Most people when they hear the word ‘tapas’, instantly think that it sounds extremely complicated; but don’t worry it’s not! For students, it is a great option as you can create a feast from relatively few ingredients. Also, tapas can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner and who doesn’t like that?

The most classic tapas dish is a Spanish tortilla, made from layers of finely sliced potato and eggs. Another, popular dish is garlicy mushrooms.

Source: Nuala McBride

TO MAKE THE SPANISH OMELETTE – (serves two people)

1. Firstly, dice an onion. Then, finely slice a potato into discs to cover two thirds of a 15cm diameter frying pan. Add the onion, potato, seasoning and some olive oil to the frying pan and fry at a low heat until the potato is starting to turn golden and translucent. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
  2. Meanwhile, beat seven eggs and seasoning in a large bowl.
  3. Add the cooled potato to the egg mixture and stir together. Oil the orginal frying pan and tip the egg and potato mixture into it – spread it out evenly. Cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the base of the omelette is starting to turn brown.
  4. At this point, you can be really brave and attempt to flip the omelette or if, like me, you can easily pop it under a preheated grill to cook the top.
  5. Turn onto a plate or board and serve sliced. This is, also, great cold for lunch the next day.

TO MAKE THE GARLICY MUSHROOMS: – (serves two people)

1.  Depending on the size of your mushrooms and your preference, either leave whole or slice about 250g of mushrooms. Finely slice a clove of garlic as well.
  2.  Add both ingredients to a pan and fry together for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms are browned. Serve hot.

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017. I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.