How to Build Your Capsule Wardrobe

0

As the start of term approaches, the weather becomes colder and the high street shops fill with tempting new season treats. However, you don’t need to blow your student loan on new pieces for a wardrobe to be proud of. Instead, follow our tips for building a capsule wardrobe comprised of easy to wear pieces which you can mix and match to create a range of different outfits. A capsule wardrobe is a great way to keep your spending on clothes in check – the pieces will see you through season after season. 

1. The Breton Top

Image by Alexander Mavronicholas
Image by Alexander Mavronicholas

The Breton Top is the ultimate easy to wear staple. Throw it on with dark skinny jeans for a nod to Parisian chic or team with a denim dungaree dress for an Alexa Chung-esque day time look. This top from Joules is £24.95 and a student discount of 15% is also offered too.

2. The Leather Jacket 

Although a real leather jacket is a great investment piece and will continue to look better as it ages, faux options can easily be found for a fraction of the price. A leather jacket is the perfect item to toughen up a lacy dress or team with Mom jeans and your Breton top for a classic look. It’s a useful jacket to take with you when going out (if you don’t mind paying to use the cloakroom) as it will keep you warm but isn’t too heavy.

3. The Chelsea Boots

Image by Alexander Mavronicholas
Image by Alexander Mavronicholas

Chelsea boots are the ultimate year round boot – they work well in the Autumn/Winter seasons and can be combined with summer dresses for a festival ready look. It’s definitely worth investing in a good quality pair of Chelsea boots as a cheap pair often won’t last you long. Chelsea boots from Dr. Martens are designed to be hard wearing and look great at the same time. If you’re a fan of Dr. Martens already, you’ll know that the boots often take a little while to break in! However, your DM Chelsea boots will fit your feet in no time at all as they tend to be softer than traditional Dr. Martens lace up boots. I know they seem expensive upfront, but the cost per wear really makes them worth the money! Keep an eye out for the boosted student discounts offered by Office and Schuh, who often provide either 20 or 25% off around the start of October.

4. The black polo neck 

River Island
River Island

No Autumn/Winter capsule wardrobe is complete without a black polo neck. It’s such a versatile item and provides any outfit with a nod to the ever popular 60s mod look. On a more practical note, it also makes a great layering item when the weather turns colder. Team it with your leather jacket, Chelsea boots and jeans for a quintessentially cool Parisian-esque look. It also looks great layered underneath smock or pinafore dresses.

5. The Denim Jacket 

The denim jacket is one item which never goes out of fashion! Of course, the washes and fits of

Topshop
Topshop

the denim jacket change from season to season. However, when picking a denim jacket, it’s best to go with what suits you, regardless of the High Street trends of the season. From oversized acid wash to cropped dark denim, the jacket is the ultimate throw on and go piece. Layer it up when it gets colder with your trusted black polo neck and add a chunky scarf to cosy up for those chilly walks home from your lectures.

Don’t forget to take your student ID with you when you visit the shops as many retailers in West Quay offer student discount.