Grandma Brown’s Cookie Bars Recipe

Being American, I feel like baking is at the centre of my culture. For me, it’s been a large part of my life. I remember as a kid, baking was always my ‘thing’.

I’m not saying I’m a pro, but I have learned from the best there is… my grandma. I remember spending almost every day after kindergarten (or Nursery to you Brits) going to her house, anxiously awaiting what recipe we would try today. She would bake and I would learn (and occasionally I would spill a whole bag of flour over my school uniform, but that’s another story). After we’d finish, we’d rush to her office so I could type up the recipe, and add it to my recipe book I had spent years putting together with her.

These cookie bars are one of the first things I can recall ever baking. A recipe of my grandma, and a favorite of my dad, I hope you enjoy this delectable and easy-to-make treat as much as I do!

• 230 g softened butter
  • 220 g firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 255 g flour
  • 1/4th teaspoon salt
  • 400 g chocolate chips (or 2 x 200g Cadburys chocolate bars diced up)

1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
  2. First let’s start by making the batter. Begin by combining the butter and sugar on a low speed with a hand mixer until completely combined. Then, add in the egg and vanilla, and mix. Lastly, add the flour and salt in small portions until all combined.
  3. Place the batter in a pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
  4. Remove the pan from the oven, and add chocolate pieces to the top of the cookie bar. Place the pan back into the oven until all of the chocolate has melted.
  5. Allow the cookie bars to cool until the chocolate is completely hardened.

Now, the rest is up to you. Cut into pieces, share among your friends, and enjoy!

Wessex Scene Online Manager 2015-2016, Head of Design 2016-2017