12 Bakes of Christmas: Bauble Fancies

0

Welcome to our 12 Bakes of Christmas series for 2015! Every day until the 12th of December, we’ll be bringing you a range of sweet and savoury recipes to help you celebrate the festive period. We’ll begin with these cute and colourful Bauble Fancies, which make great gifts, or can be used as place markers at your flat or house Christmas meal.

You will need:

• 1 x 22cm square Christmas cake
  • about 600g/1lb 5oz marzipan
  • 140g apricot jam
  • 1kg pack fondant icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
  • assorted food colourings
  • about 140g/5oz ready-to-roll fondant icing
  • sprinkles, to decorate
  • coloured cocktail sticks, to decorate
  • cards, to decorate

Method:

Image via BBC.
Image via BBC.
  1. Using a ruler as a guide, cut your cake into 4 x 4cm squares with a small serrated knife, so you end up with 16 mini cakes. Divide your marzipan into 16 equal pieces.
  2. Dust your work surface with a little icing sugar and roll out each chunk of marzipan to a thin circle. Brush the top and sides of a square of cake with some jam, then turn upside down to stick in the middle of the marzipan. Flip upright, smooth the marzipan down the sides of the cake so it sticks, then trim any excess from the bottom. Repeat to cover all your mini cakes.
  3. Tip the icing sugar into a big mixing bowl and stir in just enough drops of water to make a thick, but pourable, icing. Divide the icing into as many bowls as you want different colours, and add some food colouring to each.
  4. Sit your cakes on a wire rack sat in a tray, or on kitchen paper. Spoon some icing over each cake until the top and sides are covered – you can repeat until all the icing is used up. Leave to set for 4 hrs, or overnight is best.
  5. Divide your ready-to-roll icing into 16 equal balls. Put a splash of water in a shallow saucer, and your sprinkles into others. One by one, roll each icing ball in the water to dampen, then roll immediately into sprinkles to coat. Pierce each ball with a cocktail stick, then leave to set alongside the cakes.
  6. To finish, cut card into little flags and secure to the sticks with some tape. Add a name, number or Christmas message to each, and let the festivities begin!

Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food.