12 Bakes of Christmas: No Bake Christmas Rocky Road

0

This is the perfect lazy person’s cake which is both quick and easy, and requires no actual baking. It’s also very adaptable for any fussy eaters you’ll be spending the Christmas holidays with, and you can get experiemental without the results being catastrophic.

You will need:

• 200 grams dark chocolate
  • 2-3 tbsp of golden syrup
  • 135 grams of butter or margarine
  • 100 grams marshmallows
  • 200 grams of shortbread biscuits
  • white chocolate for topping

Optional Christmassy ingredients:

• Handful of dried fruit
  • Mixed spices
  • Nuts
  • Your favourite Christmas chocolate bar broken up

Method

1. Line a small to medium sized square baking tray with baking paper or grease with a little butter or margarine
  2. Place shortbread biscuits into a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin or just the side of your fist until they’re broken into a mixture of everything between dust and 50p size lumps, depending on your preference. Put this to one side.
  3. In a large saucepan melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup over a gentle heat until there are no or almost no more lumps of chocolate visible, then remove from the heat. Try to avoid stirring it too much as the less you stir the more shiny your chocolate will be.
  4. Take your biscuits, marshmallows and any additional festive ingredients and pour into the pan of the chocolate mixture. Stir all this into the mixture until everything is completely covered.
  5. Tip the mixture into the lined baking tray, making sure you get it all in, and roughly spread the mixture out to the corners.
  6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours then drizzle with melted white chocolate and dust with icing sugar to create a snowy effect. You could even decorate it with some Christmassy toppings such as little trees, stars or anything else you find at the shops.

Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food.

Former Opinion Editor for Wessex Scene and enthusiastic English student. Advocate of social justice, creativity and treating yourself. First and foremost an Opinion writer but I like to dabble.