12 Bakes of Christmas: Sausage Rolls

If you fancy something savoury this Christmas, why not try making sausage rolls? These tasty little treats are wonderfully easy to prepare, and if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, this recipe includes instructions on how to make the pastry too- if not, shop-bought pastry is a great shortcut. The key to success with these is to use really good-quality sausage meat in order to give them the best flavour possible. 

Makes about 24 mini sausage rolls 

• 225g plain flour
  • 175g butter
  • A pinch of salt
  • OR 1 pack of shop-bought puff pastry

• 450g sausage meat
  • 1 tsp. dried sage
  • 1 egg, to glaze
  1. The best method I have found for making pastry like this is to take the butter, wrap it in cling film, and place it in the freezer for about 45 minutes. When it is completely solid, combine the flour and salt in a bowl and then grate the block of butter into the flour. To make this easier, keep dipping the butter into the flour and then grating it.
  2. Once all the butter has been grated, use a knife to mix the flour and butter until well combined. Gradually add water, continuing to mix, until the ingredients come together to form a dough. Gently mould it into a ball, wrap, and place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to chill.
  3. For the filling, season the sausage meat and mix it with the sage in a bowl. Divide this mixture into 3 equal portions.
  4. On a clean surface, roll out the pastry so it is long and narrow- ideally, it would be approx. 30cm wide and as long as you can get it so that the overall thickness of the pastry is around 0.5cm. Then divide it into 3 long strips, each about 10cm wide. If using shop-bought pastry, unroll it and cut it into 3 long strips of equal width too.
  5. Starting with one pastry strip, take one third of the meat and roll it into a long sausage shape. Place it in the centre of the pastry and keep stretching and shaping it out until it runs the whole length of the pastry. Press it down a little along the sides so that it is stuck onto the pastry. Beat the egg and use brush some of it along one long edge of the pastry, then gently roll the pastry around the sausage meat and use the egg like glue to stick the pastry together. Make sure to wrap the pastry around the meat quite tightly.
  6. Repeat this process with the other 2 portions of pastry and sausage meat so that you have 3 incredibly long sausage rolls. At this stage, it is up to you to decide on the size of the rolls; I have suggested 24, but if you would prefer fewer and larger then the choice is yours. Use a sharp knife to cut them up and place the rolls on a lined baking tray, then take a pair of scissors and snip the top of the pastry on each one to make little V shapes.
  7. Brush beaten egg glaze onto each roll and bake in a preheated oven at 220c/200c fan/gas mark 7 for about 25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked throughout. Alternatively, you can save a few in the freezer and cook them later from frozen (just make sure not to glaze them until you’re about to bake them). Enjoy!
More articles in 12 Bakes of Christmas
  1. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Easy Alcohol Fudge
  2. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Gingerbread House
  3. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Bauble Fancies
  4. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Premium Hot Chocolate
  5. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Easy Tree Decorations
  6. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Easy Iced Cupcakes
  7. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Candy and Popcorn Stars
  8. 12 Bakes of Christmas: No Bake Christmas Rocky Road
  9. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Cranberry Chocolate Brownies
  10. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Sausage Rolls
  11. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Cocoa Cookies
  12. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Cheese Twists
  13. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Christmas Tree Sponge Pops
  14. 12 Bakes of Christmas – The Festive Loaf
  15. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Vanilla Cookies
  16. 12 Bakes of Christmas: White Chocolate and Cranberry Fudge
  17. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Chai Spice Cupcakes
  18. 12 Bakes of Christmas – (Vegan) Chocolate Truffles
  19. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Dutch Spiced Apple Cake
  20. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Naughty Hot Chocolate with Baileys Marshmallows
  21. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Gingerbread
  22. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
  23. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Orange and Cinnamon Biscuits
  24. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Panettone