Are you stuck for a last minute budget gift idea, or are seeking to satisfy a sweet tooth? This fudge can be made in minutes in the microwave. Cut into cubes, wrap in cellophane bags and tie with ribbon for a beautifully presented (and delicious!) present. For a festive twist, you could also try adding nuts and dried fruit such as cranberries, sultans and raisins.
- 400g golden caster sugar
- 397g can condensed milk
- 140g salted butter, chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur (or another alcohol of your choice – amaretto or brandy works well
- Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment. Put the sugar, condensed milk and butter in a large heatproof bowl (the mixture will bubble up as it cooks to roughly double its size), add a good pinch of salt and stir together.
- Heat the mixture in the microwave on High for 10 mins, stirring every 2-3 mins. Keep an eye on the mixture, as it will bubble up and may go over the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla and liqueur to the mixture, whisk together and heat on High for another 2 mins. The mixture should be caramel-coloured and thickened. Scrape into the tin and set aside for 45 mins–1 hr until cool and firm before cutting. Pack into a box and eat within 3 weeks.
Recipe via BBC Good Food.