Easy Christmas Recipes

Christmas is a time of year traditionally associated with good food and treating yourself! We’ll be showing you how to make three easy Christmas treats. If you’re on a budget, they can also make great gifts.

White Chocolate and Cranberry Fudge

This recipe is perfect for the person in your life with a sweet tooth!

• 410g (13 1/2oz) tin evaporated milk
  • 500g (1lb) caster sugar
  • 150g (5oz) butter
  • 2tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g (3½oz) dried sweetened cranberries
  • 300g (10oz) white chocolate, chopped

1. Lightly butter an 18cm square cake tin or line with foil. Combine the evaporated milk, sugar and butter into a heavy-based saucepan. Heat slowly, and stir constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.

2. Bring to the boil and boil, Keep stirring for 20 minutes. The mixture should become thicker, and become a glossy brown colour. Cook until the mixture is golden brown and thickened and then drop a little into a glass of cold water.

3.You should be able to pick the cooled drop up and roll it between your thumb and forefinger. If it’s still too runny, cook for another five minutes and try again. Allow the mixture to continue to boil for another five to ten minutes, stirring all the time. Then take off the heat and allow the fudge to cool for five minutes.

4.Using an electric hand-held mixer, if you have one, beat the mixture in the pan until it starts to thicken and loses its gloss.  Its texture should change from smooth to slightly gritty. Add the vanilla extract, then add the cranberries and white chocolate and stir in. Pour into the prepared tin and leave to set.

5. Once the fudge has set, cut it into small squares. You can really be creative with the packaging and presentation of the fudge! Try cellophane bags tied with ribbons for an easy and eye catching gift.

Adapted from Tesco

Image by Bethany Westall
Image by Bethany Westall

Easy Cupcakes

You will need:

• 175g caster sugar
  • 175g butter, softened
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 175g self raising flour
  • Approx 2 x 15ml spoons of water

1. Cream together the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, using a whisk or wooden spoon. Gradually beat in the eggs.
  2. Sift the flour. Stir in one tablespoon of flour into the butter mixture until mixed in well.
  3. Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
  4. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
  5. Once the cakes are cooled, it’s time to decorate! Icing pens are a fabulously easy way to decorate your cakes. Try drawing stars, snowflakes or even a reindeer!
Lifestyle 1 Bethany Westall (gingerbread)
Image by Bethany Westall

A Christmas classic, this gingerbread recipe is perfect for getting you into a festive mood.

• 350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out

• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

• 2 tsp ground ginger

• 1 tsp ground cinnamon

• 125g/4½oz butter

• 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar

• 1 free-range egg

• 4 tbsp golden syrup

To decorate:
  • writing icing

• cake decorations

1. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
  2. Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to cool in the fridge for 15 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
  4. Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them. You can also try making gingerbread stars or Christmas trees!
  5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled,  decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.

Recipe adapted from BBC.