3 Ways with: Sweet Potato

0

As the slightly unusual, less popular sibling of the humble potato, the sweet potato’s versatility is often overlooked as many opt instead for its plain and simple brother. There is much more to this underestimated ingredient than first meets the eye, though; instead of draining the life out of it by simply mashing or boiling it, why not try one of these alternative approaches to the alternative potato? Plus, if you’ve hit a wall after a couple of weeks of Veganuary and you need some inspiration, these recipes may help to beat the January blues.

1. Sweet Potato, Halloumi and Chickpea Curry 

This is a fantastic vegetarian curry with a great range of flavours and textures. To make it vegan, simply remove the halloumi- it could be replaced with beans, vegetables, or tofu.

This recipe will make 3-4 servings (depending on how hungry you are)

• 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 medium/large sweet potato
  • 1 pack of halloumi
  • 1 tin of chickpeas
  • 1 tin of tomatoes
  • 1/2 jar of curry paste
  • Rice to serve
  1. By far the quickest and easiest way to prepare the sweet potato here is to pierce it all over with a fork and place in the microwave on full power for about 5 minutes or so, until it’s soft throughout. The skin can then be peeled off and the potato chopped into fairly large chunks.
  2. Roughly chop and fry the onion in a little oil until soft, then add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir through the curry paste before adding the tinned tomatoes and the sweet potato, then leave to simmer for about 10 minutes.
  3. During this time, cook the rice until tender. Cut the halloumi into slices or chunks and fry in a separate pan until lightly browned on each side. Drain and mix the chickpeas into the curry and simmer for a further 5 minutes, then mix in the halloumi.  Serve.

2. Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup 

These two flavours work so well together in this recipe- it’s easy to make, easy to freeze and reheat, and it’s wonderfully warming for a cold winters day. Unfortunately, there’s no real vegan equivalent to chorizo- sorry.

This recipe will make 3-4 servings (again, depending on hunger)

•  1 carrot
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 tsp. of curry powder
  • 100g of chorizo
  • 400g approx. of sweet potato (about 3-4 potatoes)
  • 800ml of vegetable stock
  1. Peel and roughly chop the carrot, onion and sweet potatoes and place them in a saucepan with a little oil. Chop the chorizo and add to the pan, then cook everything gently for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
  2. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the stock and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked.
  3. Blend the soup until it is fairly smooth, then return it to the heat for about 5 minutes. Serve.

3. Sweet Potato Fries 

These may be simple, but they are one of the ultimate comfort foods- even more comforting because they are considerably healthier than most other study snacks. This recipe really demonstrates how the sweet potato can beat the normal potato at its own game.

•  1-2 sweet potatoes
  • Salt and pepper
  • Oil
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  1. Preheat the oven to 200c fan/gas mark 6. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into strips. Line a baking tray, then scatter the potato strips and drizzle with oil. Season well with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over the paprika. Bake for 25-35 minutes- the timing will vary depending on the thickness of the fries. Serve- they work well with dips too.