Peace of Cake: Spiritualistic Food

0

In recent months, we have seen an increase in an obsession with healthy food and healthy living, with the overwhelming success of Joe Wicks’ (aka The Body Coach on Instagram) book Lean in 15, but also with the rise of food bloggers who have extended their success from the Internet to page, including Ella Woodward (Deliciously Ella) and the Hemsley sisters. These are amongst the few who have used the sudden growing interest in healthy living to their own advantage. So, whilst I pondered through the many publications that pride themselves on low-calorie meals, and “yummy” vegan food, I stumbled across The Chakra Kitchen by Sarah Wilkinson (available from Urban Outfitters’ website), which blends the mystical aspect of aligning your body’s chakras through food, along the cycle of the year, sectioning their book into seasonal food.

Now, can spiritualistic food really be a good thing for harmonising our bodies? Or is Sarah Wilkinson pulling our leg, and has published a book that creates the illusion that we are being good to our bodies, even if it’s having the opposite effect? She claims that she has always had a strong spiritual presence in her life which led her onto following the idea of “soul cleansing” and herbal medicine. She then goes onto tell us about how she discovered “the power of hypnotherapy, energy healing and the chakras” which led her to establish and launch her healing business Quantum Room and her food business Chakra Cakes. She strongly believes that holistic cooking is the key to “nourishing your spirit”.

As you open the book, Sarah gives you a guide to the seven Chakras; Crown, Brow, Throat, Heart, Solar Plexus, Sacral and Root, and how she believes that it is vital for good health both physically, mentally and spiritually to keep the chakras harmonised. She explains that chakras can be either “overactive” or “underactive”, personifying her claims by explaining how these symptoms can be seen in the body, such as fatigue, restlessness, and can function in certain parts of your body including; the intestines, reproductive system and the cardiovascular system, to name just a few. She also writes about the use of crystals when cooking. Now, this is where I became slightly more sceptical. Can crystals and stones really align your body, making cooking all that more therapeutic?

Organized by season and cross-referenced to an explanatory section on the chakras, recipes include Chakra Salad, Magical Mushrooms with Polenta, Spaghetti Squash with Tofu, Nori and Kale Pesto, Bean Feast Chilli, Sacral Bliss Cake and Coconut Snow Balls. Now, these all sound delicious, but are they really as nourishing as they claim to be? Can we really be harmonised by eating “lightly”? The Chakra Kitchen prides itself on using the holistic power of crystals and the body with the robust power of food. A match made in spiritualistic food heaven if you ask me.

If you’re looking for an alternative way to enjoy the process of cooking then turn your attention to The Chakra Kitchen; this way of cooking will allow your body to feel healthy and refreshed without having the label of “diet” hanging over your head.

I’m sure that in a few months, the food market will jump off the bandwagon of the indulgent art of healthy living, and find a new craze to focus itself on. But for now, this recent and ever-growing fad seems like its here to stay, and has brought to light many issues and concerns about Britain’s unhealthy eating crisis. So, if you’re feeling slightly sceptical about trying holistic recipes, just think of it as eating healthy, because it is, just with a different label.

To find out more about Sarah Wilkinson and her quest for spiritual alignment through food, check out her website.

History student and new Features Editor for 2016/17. Consumer of chocolate, of tea and vodka, voyeur of Scandinavian crime dramas , and writer...or attempting to anyway.