Taking those first steps

0

At the beginning, running 5km seemed pretty overwhelming. But after a little bit of training I can now run that pretty easily, and now I’m aiming to run a half marathon at the end of the summer. For me, staying motivated is actually the hardest part of getting fit, and it’s so easy to keep putting off going for that run and just stay in bed for another hour.

Here are a few things I’m doing to keep myself motivated to get fit and stay fit:

Commit to an Event:

I have signed up for Winchester half marathon, I’ve paid my money and I can’t stand to see it wasted which means I have to get fit enough to finish the race in a respectable time.

Get Strava:

Strava is actually a really great app, you can track how far you’ve run, how fast you’ve run each km, the elevation etc. Others can give you a ‘kudos’ (thumbs up) on your run and it shows you when you get a personal best on a route you have already run – which is always satisfying.

Run in the Morning:

Putting off a run and telling yourself ‘I’ll do it later’ is a typical trait of a procrastinator. Getting up and going for it wakes you up, then you’re done and can be lazy for the rest of the day without feeling any guilt.

Get some proper running gear:

Running in a new pair of trainers can be much more comfortable than some old trainers you’ve had stuffed in your cupboard since the beginning of uni. They’re a good investment, and it feels like a more serious commitment when you’ve got a professional lycra look.

Don’t let a bad day get you down:

So you’ve missed a day, or even a weeks worth of runs. It really doesn’t matter. The best thing to do is get back on the horse. You won’t have lost all of your progress and giving up definitely doesn’t get you any closer to your goals!