‘No Carbs Before Marbs’ – Don’t Get Carried Away

0

Weight is, has always been, and will always be, a sensitive issue. But thankfully it’s an issue that is getting more attention in the media, although unfortunately this also backfires from time to time.

Many reality TV shows promote weight loss to impressionable viewers (please note it is not only teenagers who are affected by these programmes) such as Charlotte Crosby from Geordie Shore’s Instagram promoting her weight loss, Kim Kardashian’s well documented post-birth weight-loss campaign and of course the immortalised TOWIE saying, ‘no carbs before Marbs’. So as it comes up to summer it’s no surprise that the main thing on most people’s minds is some form of diet overhaul or the implementation of an intense exercise regime.

However, there have been a number of fad diets / ridiculous regimes, which have been gaining momentum and increasing in popularity despite their potential dangers…

1. An article on India Times’ Health section focuses on the ‘amazing’ transformation one lady experienced after eating solely bananas for 12 days. Yes, that’s right,
    Bananas
    Just popping down for the weekly shop. Photo Credit – Wikimedia.

this woman literally only ate bananas for nearly two weeks. Yulia, who is apparently a nutritionist and motivational coach, started what she prefers to call the ‘banana island diet’. She claims her skin became softer and that she felt ‘more balanced and positive than ever’. However, this almost satirical suggestion for weight-loss is not without its potential dangers. Over-consumption of bananas triggers headaches, sleepiness and can even cause hyperkalemia, where too much potassium (an element of abundance in bananas) can cause cardiac arrest and may require kidney dialysis as a form of treatment. Seems like the idea of this banana-island diet is bananas itself.

1. Vogue: Body and Beauty by Bronwen Meredith. One of the chapters in this book, treated like a bible by many of its readers in the 1970’s and 80’s, is rather crudely entitled slimming. Miss Meredith advocates the ‘Egg and Wine’ diet as a possible regime to follow for guaranteed weight loss. This rather un-balanced diet suggests:

Breakfast:

1 egg, hardboiled

1 glass white wine (dry, preferably Chablis)

Black coffee

Lunch:

2 eggs, hardboiled

2 glasses white wine

Black coffee

belly-body-clothes-diet-53528-large
Breathe in everyone. Photo Credit – Pexels.

Needless to say, not only is this diet ridiculous and is unlikely to yield long-term results of sustainable weight-loss, but it’s probably quite expensive too, depending on what sort of wine you like.

1. The final, of many disastrous diet plans in existence, behold The Breatharian Diet. If you think this has something to do with substituting food for breath, then you are in fact correct. Yes, as stupid as it sounds, followers of this diet believe they do not need to consume food and nutrients as they are convinced they can survive on air and sunshine (might as well add rainbows in there just to make it even more unbelievable). It probably doesn’t need to be stated, but side effects of this diet are malnutrition, dehydration and death.

Following these diets, anything even slightly reminiscent of them or anything which involves you dramatically reducing your calorie consumption is simply too dangerous. Sacrificing your mental and physical health to achieve your ‘perfect’ summer-body is not realistic, especially as there is no such thing as perfection. Essentially, if you do decide you want to make some form of change to your lifestyle, make sure you do it safely and for the right reasons.

Law student at the University of Southampton. Features Editor 2016/17. I also write for KettleMag, The Edge and The National Student. Avid reader, badminton player, dog lover and hedgehog rescuer.