Restaurant Review: The Stable

0

The Stable opened last year in Southampton’s Guildhall Square, and I recently headed over to try what’s on offer. The restaurant which uses local suppliers, aims to offer ‘fine food and crafted cider set within an alluring atmosphere’, and it definitely delivers on this claim; myself and my guest were hugely impressed. 

Firstly, the restaurant only serves two items: pizza and pie. This initially seems to be a strange combination, but The Stable does both pizza and pies very well, with a wide variety of delicious mains to choose from such as the ‘Hampshire Hog Pizza’ and ‘The Steak Out’ pie. Similarly to Neighbourhood, also in Guildhall Square, The Stable has an industrial feel with exposed pipe work combined with wooden chairs and benches. Large candles lined the stairs and adorned each table, creating a pleasant atmosphere for evening diners.

I have to admit, I wouldn’t normally opt to order a pie in when dining out, but I couldn’t resist ‘The Wild Rooster’, a chicken pie with gammon, leek and a thyme crust topped with poppy seeds. Each pie is also served with thick cut potato wedges and a side salad.

My meal was absolutely delicious, and I wouldn’t hesitate to order it again when I next visit. Although I didn’t have pizza on this occasion, the wide range of pizzas being carried to other diners also looked fantastic and I hope to try one soon.

In addition to the range of pizzas and pies on offer, The Stable also offers a range of ciders including locally produced Purbeck and Dorset ciders on draught. A lunch menu is offered from 12 – 3pm, and on ‘Tuck in Tuesdays’ from 5pm, you can get a pizza, a side and a drink for £10.

Overall, I had a great experience at The Stable. The staff were attentive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and the food was delicious. Some options can be expensive on a student budget, but lunch and evening offers can help to visiting more affordable. Have you been to The Stable? Let us know what you think.