‘Courgetti’, ‘Cunoodles’ and Sweet-Potato Tagliatelle: Does the Healthy Pasta Trend Live up to the Hype?

0

We’re a generation mesmerised by gadgets and gizmos – so naturally, the introduction of the mighty spiralizer, a contraption which promises to create nutritious, low-calorie, low-carb ‘pasta’ and ‘rice’ from almost any vegetable had us on tenterhooks. But is it just another fad, led by the hoard of healthy ‘foodies’ dominating our Instagram feeds?

Eat pasta, as much of it as you like – with no need to feel guilty (or carb-comatose). Whether or not you agree with the growing number of gluten-free, raw and health-conscious eaters, you’ve got to admit that vegetable pasta is something of a revelation. Gone are the days of begrudgingly boiling your basics frozen peas and carrots to ensure that you’re getting at least 2 of your 5-a-day. I’d rather eat mine disguised as a carbonara, thanks.

The most popular of the pasta imposters is undoubtedly ‘courgetti’ – nowadays, an integral part of the fruit and veg

Image via YouTube.
Image via YouTube.

section in almost every supermarket. Gone are the days of having to spend £5 for some fancy veg at Waitrose. Mind you, a packet of courgetti will set you back around £2 – a hefty price in comparison to a mere 30p for a single courgette. Understandably, forking out for a spiralizer – which, at £20, is quite pricey for a student budget – might not seem like a necessary investment. This is where the ‘Julienne’ peeler comes in – a handy little contraption which looks identical to a potato peeler (and costs the same, too), but instead creates skinny ribbons. Voila. You, my friend, can have your pasta and eat it.

If replacing your beloved pasta with vegetables wasn’t enough, the cauliflower has made a spectacular comeback in the form of – wait for it – pizza. The cauliflower is an ideal gluten-free substitute for flour, and the trendy cauli-pizza has caused quite the stir. Simply whizz up cauliflower and ground almonds in a blender, and use as you would flour.

The idea of using vegetables as carb substitutes might not appeal to everyone’s taste, nor is it anything new – but it really can be a great way of switching up the over-done pesto pasta that we all know and love so dearly. If you feel like spicing up a classic, lifestyle writer The Londoner has created a recipe named ‘Slutty Low-Carb Pasta’ which promises an equally satisfying and healthy version of the traditional Bolognese.

Slutty Low-Carb Pasta (serves 2)

Ingredients:

• 3 courgettes
  • Anchovies
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • handful of capers
  • Handful of black olives
  • Chilli flakes
  • Tinned tomatoes
  • Olive Oil
  • Parmesan

Method:

1. Heat a pan, and turn it down to medium heat. Add a generous glug of olive oil, and crush two cloves of garlic into it. Add a handful of anchovies.
  2. Add a sprinkle of chilli flakes, chopped olives and capers. Fry for a minute or so.
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes. Put aside to cool.
  4. Spiralize (or peel) your courgettes.
  5. Add the sauce to the courgette, and toss. Serve with fresh parmesan.

I spend too much time reading The Man Repeller.