Great British Bake Off Student Style: Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake

0

To honour the return of one of the greatest shows on the BBC, Wessex Scene have launched a new series in an attempt to uncover some of the best bakes Southampton students have to offer. Producing recipes that coincide with the bakes appearing on each episode – each week will reveal a favourite cake, biscuit, dessert… the list truly is endless. We hope to both wet your appetite, but also to inspire you to bake along with us.

To kick the series off, this week’s cake is a recipe of Martha Collison’s (a previous bake off contestant in 2014). The recipe is really easy to follow, and doesn’t involve any specialist ingredients that you can’t find in your local supermarket. Plus, its absolutely delicious! So here goes…

Ingredients:

225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
4 medium eggs (Martha suggests British Blacktail Free Range eggs, but standard eggs are fine)
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 lemons, zested
2 tbsp milk

(For the filling)
150g mascarpone cheese
100ml double cream
Juice of ½ lemon

Image: Pixabay
Image: Pixabay

50g icing sugar
3 tbsp lemon curd
Icing sugar, to dust

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, and grease and line two 20cm cake tins with baking parchment.

2. Using a handheld electric whisk or a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until really light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition.

Image: Shuttershock
Image: Shuttershock

3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds. Add these dry ingredients into the

egg mixture a few tablespoons at a time, and continue to mix until a smooth batter forms. Add the

lemon zest and milk, and mix again.

4. Divide the mixture between the two tins and use a spatula to smooth over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and well risen. A skewer, when inserted in the centre, should come out clean. Allow to cool briefly in

Image: Shuttershock
Image: Shuttershock

the tins before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.

5. To make the filling, beat together the mascarpone, double cream, lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth and spreadable. Place the bottom cake onto a stand and spread with the mascarpone icing. Spoon over the lemon curd and sandwich with the top layer of cake. Dust the top with icing sugar and serve.

Image Credit: Molly Evans
Image: Molly Evans
More articles in Great British Bake Off - Student Style
  1. Great British Bake Off Student Style: Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake
  2. Great British Bake Off Student Style: Nutella-Filled Cookies
  3. Great British Bake Off Student Style: Cheesy Garlic Bread
  4. Great British Bake Off Student Style: Blueberry Pancakes