Cheese. And garlic bread. What could be better than this match made in carb heaven. Whether you’re trying to show off to your mates, or want a gluttonous late night snack, anything covered with stringy, melted cheese is the one. So, below, I share with you the ultimate easy and relatively quick bread recipe. Whether you want to over-indulge yourself, or have this as a tasty side for your Italian feast, this is the one for you.
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 7g sachet/1½ tsp fast-action yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 25g soft butter
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- Handful thyme
- Measure the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix 300ml hand-hot water with the oil and honey in a jug, then pour into the dry mix, stirring all the time to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, then knead for 5 mins until the dough no longer feels sticky, sprinkling with a little more flour as you need it.
- Now stretch it to fit the Swiss roll tin.
- Mix the garlic with the butter, then dot over the dough.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and snipover the thyme.
- Cover the bread with lightly oiled cling film, then leave in a warm place to rise for 40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas
- Remove the cling film, then bake the bread for 30 minutes until golden and risen.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into 12 pieces and serve.