The Dangerous Reality of Clean Eating

The summer bulge of eating far too much at family bbq’s and drinking copious amounts of alcohol at your local club has most probably caught up with a lot of us. You may not be feeling body confident right now and with a new uni year on the horizon a new clean diet may be something that you are considering. However, before you ditch your two for Tuesday domino’s and fill your fridge with avocado’s and kale, reconsider how healthy clean eating actually is.

Clean eating seems to be all of the rage at the moment. From super smoothies to sugar free diets, eating clean and organic and what we should and shouldn’t be putting in our bodies is absolutely everywhere. Instagram feeds are filled with images of healthy food posts and more and more nutritionist bloggers are sharing their own tips and tricks  on how to live the healthiest life possible. However, the trend of clean eating in fact has more pitfalls than you may expect. It may not necessarily result in the healthiest you. For many it can result in a dark downward spiral.

The benefits of clean eating and what is and isn’t good for our bodies is a complete blur. Different nutritionists have different opinions and ideas on what food they believe is good and what food is bad for our bodies. Therefore, we are left in a complete tangled mess in regards to what we should and shouldn’t be eating. This lack of clarity and this huge diversity of opinion is mainly due to the fact that becoming a nutritionist in the UK is so cheap and easy to do. For around £20-£25 you can complete an online course that once passed will confirm you as a qualified nutritionist. These online courses are highly basic and they lack in vast amounts of accredited information. This means that thousands of ill informed individuals are able to share their thoughts on nutrition without sufficient and accurate information. Therefore, how do you know how qualified online nutritionist bloggers are and how do you know whether to trust their advice or not?

Image result for orthorexia
Credit –

Clean eating for some can be highly positive and it can transform many peoples lives and make them feel happier and healthier. However, clean eating also has a darker side. It can be critically damaging in regards to mental health. For many, clean eating can fuel the start of an obsessive and compulsive healthy eating disorder, scientifically known as ‘orthorexia’.  Dr Mark Berelowitz, an eating disorder specialist, told the Sunday Times that some ’80 to 90 per cent of his patients were following clean eating diets’. Diets that were lacking foods containing important nutrients that are necessary in keeping us healthy. These diets can become so addictive that many individuals ultimately end up starving their bodies. Not only is this physically damaging but also socially and emotionally. In extreme cases it can lead to your life being completely focused around eating clean.

Therefore, it is important to urge on the side of caution  when looking into any form of clean eating. You should not be cutting out any essential food groups such as carbohydrates and proteins and you should ensure that you eat in balanced moderation.  This lack of moderation is often what can be the catalyst of an unhealthy and obsessive diet. A cheeky dominos every now and then is completely fine, plus it is absolutely delicious.

Image result for veg smoothies
Credit –

A quirky English Literature student who loves: Taylor Swift,fashion, music, vintage and anything out of the ordinary. Also a proud committee member of kazoo society.