Pampering – Student Style

The late nights and overall hectic student lifestyle can really take their toll. But it’s really important to keep your self-esteem at a healthy level, and if it isn’t, you need to give it a boost. Giving yourself that desperately needed pampering time may just be the answer.

Feeling good and looking good often go hand in hand, so when your face boasts many a pimple, your hair’s dull and lanky and there are bags under your eyes so big that the supermarket could charge 5p for them, it’s time to do something. So, people (yes boys, you can do this too, and you might be pleasantly surprised at the results), get pampering yourself with this tips:

Hair Oil

Image: bodyshop.
Image: bodyshop.

If your hair’s greasy, you might think that putting oil on it is counterproductive. It isn’t. There are lots of ways you can go about this, Moroccan argan oil, coconut oil (the one from the body shop is my favourite) or, if you’re being super thrifty or just don’t feel like trekking to a shop, use olive oil. Yes, that’s right, a favourite cooking ingredient can do wonders for you hair! Just follow these simple steps:

1. Apply the olive oil to your hair, focusing on the ends.
  2. Wrap hair in a bun on top of your head (if your hair is long enough) and cover with a shower cap and leave on for 15-30 minutes (depending on how damaged you feel your hair is).
  3. Rinse out in the shower.
  4. Shampoo and condition as usual! (credit:

It doesn’t take a lot of effort, you can sit in your room on Facebook or watch netflix with the olive oil-filled shower cap on, work the pampering around your schedule! This should have you hair feeling and looking healthy, glossy and silky smooth.

Image: pixabay.
Image: pixabay.

Face Masks

This is a classic, but the extra tip is make sure you exfoliate before you put on the face mask. You can do this by buying some exfoliator from somewhere like Boots or Superdrug, which again you can have loyalty cards for so you can build up those important points! You also don’t have to get expensive exfoliator, a reasonably priced one will do the trick, just add some water to the exfoliator you’ve squeezed out of the tube and massage it into your face, with the key areas being the chin and nose. Face mask wise, if you’re not sure whether you want to buy whole tub or bottle and feel that you might want to mix up the type of face mask you use, Montagne Jeunesse face masks are great! They come in pre-sized packets, so there’s enough in each packet for one face mask session and are very well priced.

Image: feelunique.
Image: feelunique.

Pore Strips

Pore strips are for those horrid blackheads or just all things nasty which are clogging up your pores and not allowing your skin to breathe properly. Pore strips will be at their most effective if you use them after having exfoliated and used a face mask. Again, you can easily get these from many shops, such as Boots and Superdrug, so they’re not hard to find.

1. Remove strip from pouch. … 
  2. After washing your face, thoroughly wet your nose or other face area (where you have clogged pores or blackheads). … 
  3. Dry hands. … 
  4. Let dry for about 10-15 minutes until stiff to the touch — like papier-mâché.
  5. Slowly and carefully peel off starting at edges, pulling toward the centre (credit:

And voilá! There’ll be some gross stuff on the pore strip after you’ve taken it off, but that just means its worked its magic so don’t worry!

Cucumbers For Your Eyes

You can either buy synthetic cucumbers which have had plenty of moisture and vitamins added to them, or you can simply buy a cucumber from the supermarket and use that, providing you chop it into slices of course! Lay on your bed with some cucumber circles on your eyes for 10-15 minutes and you’ll start reaping the benefits! Since cucumbers are compromised of around 90% water, they help to reduce excess water around your eyes and get rid of dark circles. Pretty good, huh?

So, there you have it, the first part of my student pampering tips. Go on, get off the internet and start working your way through that list!

Law student at the University of Southampton. Features Editor 2016/17. I also write for KettleMag, The Edge and The National Student. Avid reader, badminton player, dog lover and hedgehog rescuer.