The Food Edit – Roasted Vegetable Traybake

0

Credit: Nuala McBride
Credit: Nuala McBride
With the temperatures dropping, it means that winter has truly set in. And with winter comes hearty, warm, comforting food. This week I’ve taken the basic idea of a ‘traybake’ to create a quick and easy dinner, reminiscent of a summer spent in Spain with the Patatas Bravas sauce (basically a spicy tomato sauce). 

In the food field, the word ‘traybake’ is often associated with a large amount of cake. Now, don’t be too surprised to hear that it can be used in other contexts too. There’s nothing like a traybake of cake; but the basic principle of whipping together a group of ingredients to produce something yummy can be applied to the savoury food field too. I’m not going to deny that a cake based traybake is my favourite. But, in second place is a winter vegetable traybake.

The combination of crunchy carrots, nutty parsnips, sweet sweet potatoes is a match made in heaven (as well as a welcome relief for the bank account!). These are some of the best winter vegetables and give a colour variety to the dish as well! The sauce for this dish stems from the spanish dish Patatas Bravas; which is roasted / fried potatoes with a spicy tomato sauce. Instead of the laborious effort to make a spicy sauce everything is chucked into the roasting tin and baked together.
This recipe is a little bit less rigid than most; as there are only basic guidelines that need to be followed. It relies on three key ingredients – vegetables, spices and pulses. It’s great to use left over vegetables and to  make in bulk; so you have ample lunches and dinners. The final dish can be served alone as a light meal or with rice, pasta or quinoa.
Roasted Vegetable Traybake
Serves 2 | Takes 40 minutes.
Ingredients:
  • 1 large carrot, cut into 1inch cubes
  • 1 large parsnip, cut into 1inch cubes
  • 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1inch cubes
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 can of butter beans (chickpeas or cannolini beans also work)
  • 1 can of pasatta
 Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Place the vegetables onto a large baking tray and sprinkle with the spices, salt, pepper and oil. Make sure that everything is well coated.
  3. Roast in the oven for around 25 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
  4. Mix the butter beans and pasatta into the tray and place in the oven for a further 5 – 10 minutes, until everything is pipping hot.
  5. Serve with rice, pasta, quinoa or alone as a light meal.

Instagram your photos of Nuala’s Roasted Vegetable Traybake and tag with @OfficalWessexScene to be featured on our Instagram page!

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017.
I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.