The Food Edit – Mom’s Chilli Con Carne

0

Credit: Nuala McBride
Credit: Nuala McBride

When you say you’re going home for the weekend, the first thing that comes into a lot of people’s minds is the good food that will be awaiting you. Everybody has their favourite meal that their parents make – mine is Chilli Con Carne.

A lot of people’s knowledge about food as well as cooking skills stems from their parents. My dad was a ‘creator’ in the kitchen. He loved to take whatever was in the fridge and whip it up into something fantastic. I can’t say that I have that confidence yet, but it’s coming as I cook more and more – one day I’ll be there! Mom has always been a baker; but amazing at making the classic dishes. This is one of those dishes that she makes time and time again and it’s always well received!

Mom’s Chilli Con Carne 

Serves 2 | Takes 40 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp flaked chilies
  • 200g minced beef
  • 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 100ml boiling water
  • 1 can chopped plum tomatoes
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • Rice and yoghurt to serve

Method:

1. Fry the onion and pepper with the oil in a sauce pan and the spices until translucent.
  2. Turn the heat up and add the beef. Break the meat up and continue frying until the beef is all browned.
  3. Next add in the chopped tomatoes. Leave the mixture to bubble for about 20 minutes; so that sauce reduces. You may need to add more liquid depending on how fast the liquid evaporates.
  4. Mix in the kidney beans to the saucepan. At this point you may want to add more spices depending on how hot you like your chilli to be. Simmer for a final 10 minutes.
  5. Serve on a bed of rice, with a dollop of yoghurt on top.

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017.
I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.