The Food Edit – Spanish Tortilla

0

Credit: Nuala McBride
Credit: Nuala McBride

I always love to gain cooking inspiration from other cultures; as their food always seems so superior to English food. Let’s be honest, the English aren’t well know for their cuisine. There are about three savoury dishes that we’re famous for – fish and chips, roast dinners and english breakfasts. I won’t disagree that our cakes, scones and sweet dishes are to die for; but sadly, we can’t live off them! 

A well known Spanish dish is a tortilla; which is basically an omelette filled with sliced potatoes. This dish is great for brunch or a light lunch. It can be served with some salad or other tapas style dishes like fried mushrooms, roasted peppers, fried chorizo, quinoa salad … the list is endless as pretty much anything goes well with it.

I was reminded of how much I loved this dish after visiting the new Tapas Barcelona in Southampton (yes, I may have been there more than once!). Many tortillas later, including a quirky aubergine one which turns purple, I thought I’d take a stab at creating my own.

Spanish Torilla 
Serves 2 | Takes 30 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 large potato, sliced into extremely thin discs
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
  • 3 large eggs
  • A vegetable salad to serve
Method:
  1. Add the potatoes, onion, oil and seasoning to a small frying pan (about 15cm in diameter) which is at a low heat. The pan size is important as otherwise the tortilla won’t hold together as the ratios are wrong. Fry on a low heat until the potatoes are cooked through, about 15-20mins.
  2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs together.
  3. When the potatoes are cooked, pour the mixture into the bowl with eggs and mix together. Tip back into the pan and level out the mixture. Turn the pan onto a low heat and cook gently until the mixture has set (around 5 minutes).
  4. Now comes the hard bit – flipping it! If you’re brave flip it in the pan or flip it onto a board and slide it back into the pan. Or pop in under the grill for a couple minutes just to cook the top.
  5. Cut the tortilla into slices and serve with a salad.

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017. I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.