As students, we love to jump at the chance to have some booze. We never seem to need an excuse. But with Halloween fast approaching, it’s time to switch up your usual Strong Dark Fruits, Sainsbury’s Basics vodka and orange juice, or your usual Jesticle. Whether you’re having a chill night in with a few drinks, or want to impress your mates, these gothic twists on classic cocktail recipes will be a winner.
- Bloody Sangria (serves 8-12):
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of red wine, Merlot
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup Cointreau (you can always substitute orange juice)
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 2 cups ice
- 1 to 2 cups pomegranate arils
- 1 to 2 oranges, sliced
- Pour the Merlot in a pitcher, add the pomegranate juice and the Cointreau, stir well.
- Put the mixture in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and add the sparkling water. Stir well. Add ice if desired.
- If serving for a holiday that isn’t Halloween related I would add some pomegranate arils and sliced oranges for garnish.
2. Easy Apple Cider Champagne Cocktail:
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Raw sugar
- Dry champagne
- Apple cider
- Apple brandy
- Combine pumpkin pie spice and coarse sugar on a small plate and set aside.
- Pour a small amount of apple cider in shallow dish. You’ll use the sugar mix and apple cider to rim the glasses.
- Dip the rim of the glass in the apple cider then dip into the spice mixture.
- Fill each flute ¾ of the way with champagne and top with a splash of apple cider and apple brandy.
3. Morgue-a-rita (serves 4):
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Green food colouring
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup club soda
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 3 ounces triple sec
- 4 cherries
- 4 teaspoons maraschino cherry syrup
- Mix together 1/4 cup light corn syrup with green food dye.
- Place glasses in the freezer to frost them. When frozen, dip each glass into the green syrup and invert to allow the syrup to drip slightly. Return glasses to the freezer to set.
- Insert stirrers through maraschino cherries for each drink and set aside.
- Juice the limes and strain if desired to remove pulp.
- Combine tequila, triple sec and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until very cold.
- Pour one teaspoon of the maraschino cherry syrup into the bottom of each glass. Add a cherry and stirrer to each glass.
- Carefully pour the margarita mixture into each glass till about 3/4 full.
- Top off each drink with 1/4 cup club soda and serve immediately.
5. Bloody Mary:
- 2 parts Grey Goose vodka
- 4 parts organic tomato juice
- ½ part fresh lemon juice
- 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 dashes of Tabasco
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Some cubed ice
- To garnish: Celery, ground black pepper and fresh aromatic herbs
- Add plenty of ice and all of your ingredients to a shaker or stirring glass
- If you’re using a shaker, tilt it backwards and forwards a few times to mix the ingredients without making the drink frothy. If you’re stirring, you can do so vigorously
- Pour the mix into a glass. Top up with fresh ice if it’s not quite full
- Add your garnishes. Any fresh herbs and a celery stick work well
- Tabasco tip: if you’re making Bloody Marys for a group of people, make a jug without spice and let people add their own Tabasco. Some like it hot, others not so much!