The Food Edit – Brunch

0

Credit: Nuala McBride
Credit: Nuala McBride

Happy Sunday (aka unofficial Brunch Day)! 

Admit it. Your life, like mine, revolves around food. And, Sunday is no exception to that. 

Everybody has their own Sunday rituals. My family’s is Sunday Brunch. Whilst I was growing up, we never did the traditional Sunday Lunch; but Sunday mornings were always reserved for Brunch. It’s the perfect mid-morning, relaxing meal that sets you up for the day. On Sunday mornings, the kitchen would become Dad’s domain, with Radio 4’s Sunday Love Songs in the background, whilst he cooked away. We would sit down as a family and gorge on an American style brunch – thick pancakes, sliced bananas, rashers of bacon with maple syrup drizzled on top. Delicious! It was a firm favourite with the whole family and still is a much-loved tradition for me.

With such hectic schedules: sometimes it feels like I never stop. Sunday is the day when everything comes to a halt and it feels like I can breathe. This is why I love Sundays, everybody takes a step back and relaxes. It’s a day for food, friends and family. The beauty of my brunch tradition is that it can be transferred to wherever you are – whether you’re at home with your family or even at university.

I think my love of Sunday brunch stemmed from my parents. Parents pass on a lot to children. They are role models and the people who we learn the most from. We love them, we hate them at times; but their love is unconditional. Sunday morning brunches is something that I’ve carried on since joining University.

My ‘student version’ of Sunday Brunch is slightly different; but can be adapted to whatever your taste is. The base of brunch is, naturally, the pancakes. My favourite gluten-free version is made with buckwheat flour; which gives a nutty flavourful pancake and is extremely easy to make! I love to combine them with peanut butter (a store cupboard staple and extremely cheap!) and some fruit (bananas are another staple in my cupboards). Nutella is another guilty pleasure!

Healthy American Pancakes

Serves 1 | Takes 15 minutes

Ingredients:

• 125g buckwheat
  • 125g gluten free flour
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 250ml almond milk

Method:

1. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Make a well in the centre and crack the eggs into it; then add the almond milk. Whisk together.
  3. Heat a frying pan with a little butter.
  4. Spoon the mixture into a pan into small circles (about 5cm in diameter).
  5. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side until the pancakes are lightly brown.
  6. Serve with fruit, bacon, nutella or peanut butter and enjoy!

Instagram your photos of Nuala’s American Pancakes and tag with @OfficalWessexScene to be featured on our Instagram page!

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017.
I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.