The Food Edit – Tuna and Lemon Pasta

0

Credit: Nuala McBride
Credit: Nuala McBride
‘Store Cupboard Staples’ – I love this phrase for the broadness and the variety that it includes. Everybody’s is different and they can range from Marmite, to curry powder to noodles. These are those long sell by date ingredients, that are kept in the cupboard for when you just have nothing to cook. They’re, also, those essentials that you need when cooking something yummy, such as oil, salt, pepper and spices. 
These ingredients are a life saver for when you are trying to eat healthily. Instead of ordering that costly takeaway, it means you can whip up a meal in minutes. And, they’re the answer for when you’re craving some homey food and you just want to eat something comforting, especially relevant as the nights are drawing in!
They could be the base of a stella dinner or something basic to whip up for dinner when you just have nothing else to cook. It is generally acknowledged that these ingredients are a cooks secret – a group of ingredients that are unique to every person and define the way they cook and taste that their dishes take. These store cupboard staples vary so much by culture too. An Italian store cupboard would be worlds of different to someone’s in the UK. As would a student’s store cupboard vary, to say a elderly person’s store cupboard. But, that’s the beauty of them!
Even though, these are the cooks essential and basic ingredients, a store cupboard is still influenced by food fashions and trends. Yet, some things will always be a constant – can you imagine a meal without salt and pepper?
This recipe calls for two very popular store cupboard staples –  tinned tuna and pasta. The spinach can be easily substituted for any vegetable which you have in the fridge. All of which are cheap, basic ingredients – a student’s dream right?
Tuna and Lemon Pasta
Serves 2 | Takes 15 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 150g pasta
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • Rind of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
  • 1 tin of tuna, drained
  • Pinch of salt and pepper
  • 2 large handfuls of spinach, chopped
Method:
  1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, fry the onion in the oil for about 5 minutes until light brown. Then, add the remaining ingredients (except the vegetables) to a medium sized pan. Mix together over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
  3. Stir the cooked pasta to the pan and add the chopped spinach. Enjoy!

Instagram your photos of Nuala’s Tuna and Lemon Pasta and tag with @OfficalWessexScene to be featured on our Instagram page!

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017.
I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.