12 Bakes of Christmas: Salted Caramel Brownies.

0

This Salted Caramel Brownie recipe is like baking for dummies. Although I consider myself quite the experienced baker, if I ever feel the urge to whip something up quickly, then this is the recipe I always come back to. I’ve made it for my family, my boyfriend’s family, and university flatmates alike. It’s a genuine crowd-pleaser that can be easily adapted for individual tastes. A real win-win.

I wish I could say that I came up with the recipe myself or that I even discovered it my Mary Berry Baking Bible. But dear reader, I would be lying. Instead, this recipe first appeared on my radar this Summer when my favourite beauty blogger/youtuber extraordinaire, The Anna Edit, uploaded a tutorial video on how to make these indulgent brownies. I was sold.

The recipe itself is incredibly simple. Once you’ve made it once, I’d say its takes about ten minutes to throw all the ingredients together. You’ll probably be surprised by what you already have lying round but all you need for this recipe is 150g Dark Chocolate, 150g Unsalted Butter, 250g Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar, 3 Eggs, 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 100g Plain Flour, and 150g Caramel Sauce.

12-bakes-of-xmas-212-bakes-of-xmas

As Anna says,

“Melt the butter and chocolate over a bain-marie until combined and then stir in the sugar, followed by each egg, then the vanilla essence and flour. Pour into a greased and baking parchment lined tin, dollop on the caramel sauce and cook at 180°C/Fan160°C/Gas 4 for 25 minutes.”

In my experience, I find that the brownies actually take about 30-35 minutes to bake, rather than the suggested 25, and I like to swirl the caramel sauce around to create a pretty, marbleised effect. This time, I substituted the dark chocolate for two bars of good quality, milk cooking chocolate as it slightly reduces the richness of the end result and makes them a little sweeter. This Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce from Waitrose is perfect and means you don’t have to faff around making your own caramel.

img_0096
Credit: Lydia Rose Hawken

Everyone always says that baking is very therapeutic. Well, with the stress of essay deadlines and January exams looming on the horizon, consider giving this easy recipe a go – trust me, brownies are the best kind of stress relief. Don’t find it works? Then you’ve still got some delicious brownies to get you through till the Christmas holidays! Enjoy.

(Big thanks to Anna for not only justifying my make-up and WHISTLES obsessions but for also bringing these brownies into my life – you can check out her originial blog post here and the YouTube tutorial here.)

Have you tried a Wessex Scene recipe for yourself? Tweet us @WessexLifestyle! Want to contribute to the ’12 Bakes of Christmas’ series? Email us at lifestyle@wessexscene.co.uk

More articles in 12 Bakes of Christmas
  1. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Easy Alcohol Fudge
  2. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Gingerbread House
  3. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Bauble Fancies
  4. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Premium Hot Chocolate
  5. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Easy Tree Decorations
  6. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Easy Iced Cupcakes
  7. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Candy and Popcorn Stars
  8. 12 Bakes of Christmas: No Bake Christmas Rocky Road
  9. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Cranberry Chocolate Brownies
  10. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Sausage Rolls
  11. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Cocoa Cookies
  12. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Cheese Twists
  13. 12 Bakes of Christmas – The Festive Loaf
  14. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Christmas Tree Sponge Pops
  15. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Vanilla Cookies
  16. 12 Bakes of Christmas: White Chocolate and Cranberry Fudge
  17. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Chai Spice Cupcakes
  18. 12 Bakes of Christmas – (Vegan) Chocolate Truffles
  19. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Dutch Spiced Apple Cake
  20. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Naughty Hot Chocolate with Baileys Marshmallows
  21. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Gingerbread
  22. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
  23. 12 Bakes of Christmas – Orange and Cinnamon Biscuits
  24. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Panettone
  25. 12 Bakes of Christmas: Salted Caramel Brownies.

Third Year English Literature Student. Deputy Lifestyle Editor of The Wessex Scene. Lipstick hoarder and literature enthusiast.